Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ran it recently? Ive heard a lot about Royale Gorge. Ive never done Pinnacle Rock it and wonder what its like at 430cfs. We are second year boaters and looking for a new run.

---Dominic---

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
What do you want to know? Above 400 its good to go without too much butt bumping. As soon as I rate this run, 5 people will say I am wrong so here goes. 3 rapids of technical class III and then some straight down the middle dodge the rock rapids. Read your crc bible and go to the right slot on 3 rocks then work your way back to the middle. If you want specific info answer back and I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
pinnacle @490

I just ran pinnacle to parkdale yesterday @490. It was fun for me. This is my first year boating so anything I say is strictly opinion and not to be taken as any sort of expert advice. Basically it was deep enough to float your boat for sure. Three rocks was the only place I flipped and swam, and that was only because I was nervous from all the hype about three rocks. I shouldn't have flipped and should have easily been able to roll. I was actually sitting in the eddy when I swam. Spikebuck was easy and that is the other rapid people tell you to lookout for. There were also some places for play and some flatwater to work on other skills. It should be fun. I have some pics on my site of spikebuck at like 430 from the 14th. http://www.dilg-photo.com/dates.php?locals=ark_parkdale&idate=04-14-2004

-Leo

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Leo, you swam? No way! Sorry the hype was probably me and Karen arguing about the rating on 3rocks that got you. Damn I look good in those photos as well....hmm.....disregard the part where I got hung up on those rocks in Spikebuck.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Pinnacle

I'm also a novice boater, and sampled alot of the local III's last year, and pinnacle was definately one of the easiest. i think we ran it around 600, but in my opinion, it doesn't have near the umpf of the other III's (browns, foxton, shoshone). It was by far the easiest III that I have seen. Have fun - S

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Well Browns doesnt have much umpf at 600 either.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Dang missed a chance to use one of my favorite river quotes.
"It's all class II if you skip the features", Ed Hansen.

·
Registered
790 Posts
A rating of 3 is appropriate from 300 to 4,000 when it probably changes to 4-. If you want some really fun 3 with some 'umph' go above 2500 or 3,000 cfs. The more water, the more umph and the funner it gets. Best level for play is 1100 when double dip, satans and 'the wave below satans' are good and can be park and sesshed all at the same time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies. I did it today and had a great time. Man that Arkansas water is warm compared to the Colorado!

·
Registered
331 Posts
dominicsciole: Glad you had fun on the river. The parkdale section is a great run. It's where I learned to kayak and I always enjoy a float down.

Steve, It IS easy below 600, but any run with 1/6 it's high water mark is gonna be easy. I'd recommend returning this year when the river peaks. If it gets over 2000 cfs, 3-Rocks might make you puker a bit and Shark's Tooth will be a big long wave train from start to finish. The other rapids come alive too, and several unnamed features offer enjoyment as well.

ps... Greg, I guess I did say something like that. :)

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Ed dont worry, I remember the quote well. You said it my first trip down Browns right as we under the tracks. I was fairly clinched at the time.
Oh yeah and to add to Ed's post, don't take the center line in spikebuck at 2k. I tested it and it's really not that fun even if it does involve skipping a feature.

·
Registered
331 Posts
:D Okay, I'm just gonna make a guick note here. When I said "If you skip all the holes, it's just class II.", I wasn't intending Greg to go into the biggest hole in the rapid.

Intentionally jumping into progressivly bigger holes for a hole-ride is the best way if not the only way to figure out how to get out of a hole when you really need to. Just start small and work your way up.

I don't want anyone to think that I intentionally lead people into the munchy places. No, I leave that to Gary E. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Wasn't meaning to bash you Ed, the Spikebuck hole was my fault but since Mr. O went East we can just blame him. Speaking of Mr. O, have you talked to him lately?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts