Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run the Pine below the Vallecito Res to Bayfeild? I am sure there is not too much action in there but it is flowing. All of the spots I have seen do not have rapids but it is fast moving water. Getting bored and need a break from Rockwood. With no travel scrilla you need to be creative. If nobody has any beta I'll check it out and let you know.

:D

PS- if anybody wants to donate some plastic, the Florida is running 200 cfs. After running it at 1000 cfs last year I can't bring myself to boat it this year. :roll: Florida at 1000 cfs is one of the wildest rides I have had, it will probably be another 10 years before is happens unless someone knows the dam keeper? Sward? Anybody.... I would be happy to sweeten the deal with a 30 pack. That would make a sweet fall run!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wish I knew them. i got a call from them once to pick up my makeshift zamboni from the lake before the ice melted. They were pretty cool about it.

We were doing the F at about 300 regularly just to get wet. It was fun. I too ran it high, I think it was 7-800. I was surprized how quick it went. the drops around the obaro got meaty...

will likely be watching some beavers do some work around my frontage when the water drops, let me know if you want to come watch.

Steve.

·
Registered
335 Posts
So does that quote mean Helen Keller ran the shit?

hey show some respect it's the Los Pinos,they hav'nt passed that racist English only bullshit yet. jk

·
Registered
206 Posts
I ran the pine a couple of years ago. we went from a friend's private access below the dam to the bend in cr 501 where the bridge is. we had to sneak out because it is all private there. there were some good hidden surf waves in that stretch. there are also some rock weirs for fish habitat like in mesa canyon on the juan. landowners are very strict in there and our whole float was bordered by private land. one guy followed us along the bank until we passed his land! there may be a public access above where we put in, and i haven't gone below the bridge towards town. i hear there may be fences and there has got to be diversions for irrigation. the next possible take out would be at the 160 bridge, unless you know someone along there. let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
580 Posts
How's the wood situation on the Florida this year? Last year there were a couple logs behind Helen's Store. I would be willing to donate some plastic if you can get down at 200. Give me a call 799-3179. Next week after work would work best for me, but I might be able to swing something quick this weekend.

This has been a very bad year for me getting in my kayak. I have been rafting the family mostly. What are the logistics like for Rockwood Box? Is it most of a day to hike in, run and hike out? Is it on the lower end of Class IV or higher? (as I haven't been in my boat much this year). I would love to go if someone wouldn't mind taking a first timer.

I can't say that hitting every line possible in the town run is helping my skills. I need to step up to something soon, but I don't need to go Class V right away.

·
Registered
580 Posts
As for the Pine River. There is a public takeout/put-in at the bridge going to the Pine River Ranches about a mile ds of the 501 bridge (and a lot easier access). This is probably private land, but many fishermen use the area without problems.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rchristianson, I am interested in putting in at the bridge up by the dam and floating it to the river park in Bayfield as I do not know if any other access. I am hiking emerald lake this weekend but I will give you a call on Monday or Tuesday at the latest for an after work run. I did get a PM from Mr G stating that there are fences to deal with but I am still in for a little aventure, I'll bring a piece taped to my back Die Hard style for hostle land owners. :D

I think I am good on the Florida unless it comes up alot.

Rockwood beta:
I would say from my house on Rio Vista (by N City Market) with drive it is a max 3 hour trip. I would say the run is class IV around +/- 500cfs. When it hits 300 or lower it just gets boney and the pin potential goes up. At 500 it is fun with one good boof in red rocks and gardian is fun. For those that do not know the train people are getting really picky. There is a window from 11am to ~2pm and then after 5:30pm. Try to be respectful of these time frames becuase if we fuck with them they could shut the access off and really start enforcing. I have been threatened but the sherrif never shows up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Surfgod, I'm down to do either. I've got Monday and Tuesday off. A friend of mine has ran the Pine a few times and I'll try to get some more beta from him. I'm sure we can figure out the logistics...

I've got an extra Stubby and an old Topo you can scratch up.

970 946 5947

Dugan

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dito for respecting the trains' people on Rockwood. A group of us had the Sheriffs called on us early this season, but we beat 'em to the parking lot and high-tailed it outa there.

Rockwood can be done in less than 3 hours town-to-town, if your moving. It's an easy class 4 at this level;bony, but fun. Enjoy it while you can!

·
No seas pendejo
120 Posts
Dam down...

I ran the stretch a few times about 5 years ago. We took rafts and a slew of kayaks. It was great class III and beautiful scenery. One time towards the bottom we had the Sheriff called on us. We had to go over with him the whole public waterway talk...we took out at the 160 bridge in Bayfield...hope this helps, have fun, run the dam! B

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Los Pinos TR

Flow: Pine River below Vallecito Damn was ~600 cfs but has droped to 480 overnight.

Put in: We put in at the dam, we climbed over the fence at the fire station and hiked along the spillway until we climbed another fence and entered the pool at the powerhouse. We paddled across the pool and wedged ourselves through a rock and wire fence to enter the river.

Run: I was suprised at the quality of whitewater and no fences. It was pretty contiuous class III. Not boney but could use a little more water. The whitewater was nice with scattered horizon lines and a few holes. There were a couple of nice play waves but not always the best place to flip over. We only saw a few people and they were freindly and smiled and waved. The scenery was beutiful and the whitewater was much better the town run (Animas). I would give it a solid class III.

Take out: We opted to take out at the CR501 bridge as we had paddled 3 to 4 miles and we felt it had most of the gradient. I think the river would slow down to class II and you would most likely encounter agressive ranchers and fences. We quickly got out at the bridge with the "no kayaking" sign with no encounters from land owners.

This would be a great class III run if there was better access. The flows are consistant throughout the summer and possibly better in the fall with the dam release. If anybody has any better access please let us know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
lower pine river paddle

cosurfgod ---

hey there.... interested in possibly paddling lower pine river this evening... could be potential for skirmish with local folks over access... what is your phone number... if i don't make it, then touch base with me afterwards for de-brief.... thanks.

dunbar hardy
970-385-9595
durango

·
Registered
13 Posts
Los Pinos Access

I've been looking at the Los Pinos for some open boat warm up stuff. Supposedly prior to 2006 the Pine River Irrigation District allowed river access at the Dam, but no more. Am reminded of the current sportsman's plight with access on the lake proper.

I did get a fishing permit from the Utes hoping to run from Bayfield down. At 500 cfs there is perhaps 200 left at Ignacio, but interim stretches are bone dry. The last good access I found from the Ute fishing maps is a place called 'Diversion' 2-3 miles down from Bayfield, a pretty spot.

I've heard rumours of barbed wire between 501 and Bayfield too, good to hear it may not be an issue. Access looks like it might be easily arranged from the 'coolwaters' resort - but haven't requested. Dam to 501 is a pretty stretch - darn shame it is closed off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The river today came up to 1400, it must mean Vallecito reservoir is spilling, and it seemed like the time to go espesh as no barbwire across river was reported here and a good access was identified at the Pine River Ranches plat.

Access at PRR was good, hopefully it will stay that way. However there was wire across the river which proved problematic in my 14' Dagger open.

Regardless, this 'lower-lower' section is quite good, as far as I made it at least! It's fast, so the surfing might not be great but there were at least half a dozen decent play holes in the first two miles. Maneuvering around pour overs in one rapid and the continuousnous make this a solid 3 at this level. I was reminded quite a bit of the Mesa run on the San Juan.

That wire fence could be nasty - it's strong down from a large permanent cable - so that it's above the water where you can get under the cable and under the water where the cable is too low to go under. I flipped in a steep gravel bar type of situation partly distracted, partly messed up, partly fillled with water from the previous rapid, partly heading for shore.

I ended up letting the boat go through, hiking down to follow it.

I saw one more obstacle, a gas pipeline about 12 inches above the water, also with a fast water lead-in.

About a mile down, at the first ranch bridge, I noticed red lights flashing - turns out the boat caught just downstream above an irrigation intake. The Upper Pine River Fire, La Plata Sherriff and Bayfield Police were all there, as well as ranch folks - maybe 30 people in total.

So much for healing my shame in private.

Everybody was very helpful and hopefully I made a good case for opening up this prime stretch of intermediate whitewater.

This is definitely still a project river and hopefully wire will get taken down in Season as it gets more use. Lower water is recommended for a first descent of the water (fence?) year, but experienced decked boaters won't have problems at any level.

Remember, the goal is to make friends and get this river opened! And thanks again to La Plata Public Safety.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts