Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pine Creek on the Ark is running about 235. Is this too low for a decent run or is it too boney ?

·
Registered
586 Posts
235 definitely goes for Pine Creek.
But it's not running 235. It's running 127 -- you want the gauge for Number 1.
I've never run it as low as it is now. If it gets back to 235 again this year, I'll head over there and run it cause it's fun at that flow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've run the numbers at just about every level and at least 30 times but I have never run the Pine Creek section. And was wondering if 235 cfs was still ass kick'n or a nice level for a 1st try in my Hero ? (before I make the drive over there from Den )

·
Registered
83 Posts
Where does all this water come in between Pine Creek & the Fractions? I thought this was coming in from twin lakes and Eddy Flower just had it wrong.

·
Registered
351 Posts
There is a gauge down by the Numbers Put-in, that reads 132. There is a gauge in Nathrop (Hecla Jct), that reads 237. They are about 25 miles apart. There are several streams and diversions that add and subtract water in between

·
Registered
501 Posts
Good morning! Please be aware that PC is much tougher than the numbers still, ... even at these low levels. Good boaters may not expect it to be too challenging, but the risk is substantial. At 150 cfs, trip rocks lurk everywhere and the current is powerful enough to force things to go ugly and painful if you aren't on top of your game. I would not want to spend even a second upside down in there now. The danger starts immediately at the entrance. Personally, I would have little interest inviting a first timer into PC at these levels. Their day could be done at the very entry. It's not that PC is all that difficult, it is just that it is ... enough so that a boater had better be skilled enough to not allow getting flipped. It is a very exuberant and rewarding feeling to experience it successfully at these levels. However, it is of creek boating nature and consequences. Be up for it if you go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts