Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Any chance of any local New Mexican boaters will be doing this run ( American Whitewater - 6. Taos Junction Bridge to Embudo Station Restaurant, Rio Grande New Mexico, US )

next weekend?

I have to visit ABQ for work, and am debating whether or not it will be worth it to drive and take my boat for this run. I'm looking to get more class 3 runs under my belt. I would have non-boating friends with me camping at probably at Orilla Verde, that can assist me or anyone wanting to join with shuttling.

Any local beta on the run and camping for this time of year is appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Doing TJB to Embudo is long & there’s two long sections of flat water. If you’re more interested in the class three just do the Race Course section:
Putin: Quartzite, just south of Pilar
Takeout: County Line, just north of Rinconada
After float Beer: Blue Heron in Rinconada.
Watch out for: Big Rock. Scout left under the rock overhang. It’s a river left to right transition above the big rock. Other than that at current flows it's a very nice river.

I’m most likely not going to be able to make next weekend at all. If things change I'll PM you.
footage of the racecourse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8nRSUYuxek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkPRfT_zY2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3CdsPG1xU

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Man,

The description on American WW is a bit off. Can I pitch a tent/car camp at the County line takeout? Is it reasonably to expect the good flow to hold out for another week? Likely to meet other boaters at the putin Saturday morning?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
No camping at the put in or take out.

Great camping just up the river from the put in. Heading up river from the put in take the first road on left at pilar yacht club for about a mile. Forest Service camp with showers on left right on the river.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Once you get to Pilar, on the east side (right if travelling north) there is a visitors center, right across from the intersection that okieboater mentions. It's a good place to stop if they're open and get some bearings. There is a fee for camping & parking up around TJB. There is no parking fee at Quartzite or County Line though.

Like okieboater said, there is camping up at Taos Junction Bridge (TJB) but none at the put in or take out.

If you get up on top of the Taos Plateau (i.e. you can see Taos), you've gone to far.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx to all the local boaters who contributed and those I met and did not meet. I had a beyond epic run. Funny how I'm extremely jealous of your fall colors and good flow; and you guys might be jealous of saguaros by the river..

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Over the years I have made a bunch of runs on the lower box, pilar and Rio Chama.
Really fun runs. The food up in Taos and in the area is just great. Love the desert rios.

Same for Salt River Canyon. When either my self or a friend got lucky on a Salt permit and lucky on having water, running the Salt River canyon is the best way I know to start the summer boating season. The lower Salt has several Rio camp grounds where the cactus look like an army of guards, especially so on full moon nights.

Both these areas and their Rios are just great places to boat even tho the season is short and water flow comes and goes, these two areas and Rios are about as good as it gets for relaxing float trips. And, Taos has some very challenging runs when the water flow is there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts