Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife is just starting to show some interest in my kayak obsession. she's has a flat water roll,and has been on some mean class 1 water. now i want to move her onto class 2. would the 6 miles above the race cource in pilar,nm be a safe run for her ,canoeman.com calls it a safe run with around 6 fpm gradiant. not to bore you guys,but does anyone have any knoledge of this run? (how far in between are the rapids/any sticky stuff exc...) thanks in adv marv. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
520 Posts
no problem

the section above pilar is called the "state park run" she would have a blast on it. relatively flat with a couple class 2 rapids. which can be scouted from the road. the run is 6-7 miles long and all roadside if she gets freaked out. have a blast, mellow water level right now, adios, atom... :D :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply,i was also curious about the lower section (below the race cource) is it just as safe in or around 500cfs, i think i may have seen that it is or it develops into a class 3 at higher flows?is it more of a canyon,like the race cource? i've only visited that erea once just for a peek,but only spyed the race cource .

·
Registered
520 Posts
pretty melow

the section below the racecourse is pretty mellow. the main thing is a couple of bridges to watch out for. still wide open riverbed, but removed from the road, all private property on the run so avoid the banks. very beautiful back in there, take out at embudo station restaurant(good beer). kave fun, adios, atom...

·
Registered
16 Posts
The section below the put-in at Pilar is really fun for a beginning boater. I did it my first season. Make no mistake, however, there is danger present. Some seemingly innocuous-looking boulders make nice sticky hydraulics if you're not alert and respectful of the river gods. I ended up in one after I got tired, tried to paddle someone else's boat, missed a couple of rolls and swam. I swam right into it and didn't realize where I was or why I wasn't surfacing - for many recirculations. It was terrifying and I almost got wacked. Mostly because of my _own_ lack of experience, but there it is - be aware.

There is also a big drop at the bottom of this run that is a boulder choked constriction with a huge hole river middle behind a rooster tail at the horizon line of the drop. I went into this backward in my RPM and endered right out, but people have gotten wacked in it. My understanding is that it is considered a Class IV drop on a Class II/III run. I guess that's why there is a photographer sitting there watching. If you are aware of this and see it coming (I didn't) you can _easily_ sneak it right or left with very little excitement. As the previous writer pointed out, this is a roadside run, so it would be easy to portage it or simply take out at that point as its at the very end.

I had a great time on that run as a beginner and would certainly run it again.

Three years ago, there was a play hole at the gauge just upriver of Pilar, too, in case you're of the ilk. It was on river right.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Take your time teaching her, let her go at her own pace. I threw my girlfriend in some serious rapids starting out and now she won't touch a kayak. Oh well, now I don't have to hear that yap in the eddy, the river is all mine. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks again for the great info,we'll try the state park run,and if all goes well try the section below race cource.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts