Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw a piece on the news about Phantom Canyon..the footage appeared to be class V with plenty of water!...I remember a buzzard (Theo?) once suggested this might be ripe for 1stD...I may be mixing this up with Shelf Road and whatever creek flows along it...of course the piece was about a rockslide closing the road....anyway it ain't that far from CSpgs,the Ark,or Denver ,for that matter...class V is over my head just a heads up to those looking for 1D's or new adventures.....got some other ideas about 1st and rare D's more in the IV w/portages category..seems like there was something about Beaver recently too...know of one mission that went bad in the past on that

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No ! It is down by Cripple Creek...somebody may well have run it...it is not in any guidebooks or websites that I know of and I am kind of a geek on those....I could be wrong...was there a landslide in your Phantom Canyon?

even if it is not a 1D it is a rare opportunity to do it

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pretty sure Phantom Canyon has been paddled and at some point West Beaver Creek below the old power plant goes underground / sieves out repeatedly and it's supposed to be super hard to get around in there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
And the guys that tried to run West Beaver had to get airlifted out after sending a couple days in there. They ran out of water with no place to go.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D E,

Thanks ..that was the mission gone bad I was talking about..knew about the helicopter ,but not the other details...

Logan, That looks like the pic I caught a glimpse of on TV...maybe not V but looks interesting...wonder what else is there?....I think people talked about the creek along Shelf Road too.it is close by Phantom...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the deal with the Poudre Phantom? Is that just another name for lwr NFCLP,the class III run mentioned in the guidebooks ..or is it middle No Fk?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Phantom canyon of the North Fork of Poudre is below Halligan Reservoir before the river crosses county rd 80c. It is all private and part of some nature conservancy/private fishing club. There is no legal way to run it as you have to trespass to portage the halligan dam.

·
Registered
157 Posts
haha i know the guys that did beaver creek, funny story. Phantom has been run, and there are many fences both barbed and electric to deal with. sounds like more effort than its worth. Ive run four mile creek (shelf road), its been a while,but it was fun, tho some of my friends ran it recently at a higher flow, they are competent boaters and apparently got pretty thrashed... take care out there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
haha i know the guys that did beaver creek, funny story. Phantom has been run, and there are many fences both barbed and electric to deal with. sounds like more effort than its worth. Ive run four mile creek (shelf road), its been a while,but it was fun, tho some of my friends ran it recently at a higher flow, they are competent boaters and apparently got pretty thrashed... take care out there.

It was a mild thrashing...dick, and I don't think you kids put in at the confluence.

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
that is the most confusing post ever. i was just kidding, dont have to if you dont want to. just figured it was a rarely run stretch and there are likely folks out there curious to see some boaters on it. but you do what you want big boss :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts