Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Same thing guiding in the Royal Gorge, the customers couldn't hear you over the trains, and you were screaming as loud as you could. We transitioned to slapping the side of the raft with our guide sticks, one slap for "go", another for stop. Worked pretty well.
I use the same tactic when guiding deaf groups. The really fun part is that as soon as we clear the rapids everyone drops their paddles to start “chatting” via sign language.

As to the planes, not had that happen on the Ark, but on Ruby Horsethief about 20 years ago, a Tomcat flew upstream about 5 feet off the water, we watched it come up the river for the 3 seconds it took to get to us, saw the pilot wave at us, before he stood the thing on it's wings, hit the afterburner and slid around the bend. Really something to see.
Back in the mid ‘80’s I was camping out in the CA desert when around dusk this crazy spaceship, unlike anything imaginable to me, cruised over a couple hundred feet off the deck. It turned out to be one of the B2 prototypes but I was fully convinced it was an alien spaceship... until it was unveiled a couple years later. Even then I half-thought it was just the government claiming an alien spacecraft as their own. To this day a small part of me believes in aliens because of this single incident.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
No trains, no pipelines, and once again only China and the third world can host Industry...give it a few years and many OTR truckers will be replaced with self driving big rigs...tough times ahead if you don't make your money behind a computer monitor or serve those who do.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Some good news... for now...

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Utah has been trying to figure out how to ship their tar sands, oil shale, and fracking output to market for years. They failed to get the Port of Oakland to work with them and they have been fighting Grand County (Moab) for years to run highways through the book cliffs to I-70. If this is just another effort in their wasteful campaign then fight them with all you have. Dirty money, dirty state, dirty politics. Save Colorado from Utah (signed, a Colorado-to-Utah transplant)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts