Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in a Peru trip next fall? Fly to Cusco? And has anyone ever flown a boat down there? I've done it to Ecuador, Costa, Chile but it seems difficult through Lan Air.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've flown to Lima with a boat. It usually depends on who you get at the counter no matter what the policy. You can always send stuff air freight/cargo often on your same flight. Just arrange ahead of time and be prepared to spend some time at your destination customs port of entry.
Always have a plan B ready if you get denied at the airport check in counter!
I found that traveling by bus in Peru with kayak was the real challenge. Be ready to "tip" or financially encourage the bus bag handlers as they can be difficult.
Most likely you can sell the boat and other stuff for a good price so your return you wouldn't have any issues. Recommended.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. Thanks. I'm likely headed Mid Oct. And hoping to base in Santa Teresa. Selling gear for sure. Thanks for the beta.

·
Registered
986 Posts
By mid october stuff around santa terisa is most likely going to be low/rain dependent, when we were there we this year in mid october we got a rain pump and got the santa terisa at low flow, the sacsada, the urabamba at huge flow and the vilcabamba at good flows. Locals made it sound like the area is much better in july/august for paddling in that area. But just my 2 cents

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes the season kicks off around May and goes through our summer, their rainy season. But there's always water in many of the drainages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts