Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area Integrated Concept Plan Meetings Scheduled

SALIDA--The Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA) will hold four public meetings to discuss the proposals of the Integrated Concept Plan (ICP). This plan was developed to provide assistance in resolving a number of Private Boat and Commercial Special Use Agreement issues that have been brought to the attention of Colorado State Parks and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Adoption of the ICP could lead to modifications of the 2001 Arkansas River Recreation Management Plan.

All meetings will be held from 6 pm until 8 pm on the following dates and locations:

Tuesday, Jan. 20, Annex Meeting Room, Lake County Public Library, 1115 Harrison Avenue, Leadville;
Thursday, Jan. 22, Public Room, Community First Bank, 146 G Street, Salida;
Tuesday, Jan. 27, BLM Field Office Conference Room, 3170 East Main Street (Hwy 50), Canon City;
Monday, Feb. 9, REI Flagship Store, 1416 Platte Street, Denver.
All interested parties are encouraged to attend. For more information, please contact the AHRA office at (719) 539-7289 or go to
http://www.parks.state.co.us

·
Super Moderator
4,032 Posts
Hi Liz,

Thanks for posting the ICP meeting times and working on the Brown's permitting issues as well representing private boaters in the Grand Canyon's CRMP process.

Marshall's posted the ICP over in the "alerts" forum. From what I've read, there's no increase for the commercial outfitters' alloocation on the Numbers though it looks like their launch window will be extended to 2 pm. It actually looks like the outfitters are losing a total of 150 boats per day on weekends/holidays (90 from Brown's, which go to privates, 60 from the Royal Gorge which disappear altogether).

A couple of questions for you and/or Marshall:

Is the current ICP posted by Marshall only a draft? Are the outfitters likely to try to hold onto their allocation if we don't show up, provide comments, and actively work to keep the ICP as it is?

Is a permit system on Brown's a done deal? It seems the need to implement a permit system should be negated by the reallocation of 60 boats per day from the outfitters to privates on weekends/holidays.

If the permit system IS a done deal, will we be able to shape the permit process by attending the meetings?

On a related note, I've heard that the Fractions section is getting scruitiny by the AHRA. Any info on this?

Hope to hear from you soon,

--Andy

·
Super Moderator
4,032 Posts
More on the Brown's Canyon Permitting

Here are answers to the questions I asked Marshall Nichols, Private Boater Rep to the AHRA Citizens Task Force, and Liz Hall, above. Basically we need to show up at the meetings and make our voices heard. Marshall's also gotten the AHRA to provide nametags to help put some flesh and bones on this virtual community.

See you there,

-Andy
**************************************************************************************

A couple of questions for you and/or Marshall:

Is the current ICP posted by Marshall (http://mountainbuzz.com/viewtopic.php?t=394) only a draft? Are the outfitters likely to try to hold onto their allocation if we don't show up, provide comments, and actively work to keep the ICP as it is?

No, it's not a draft, it's the final product. The outfitters don't want to give us all the allocation outlined in the ICP, they want instead to retire 40 BPD, we're not buying that. We NEED warm bodies at these meetings, the outfitters will be there, we have to have a strong showing to make this happen. They as well are pushing to get the entire allocation provided by the management plan in Section 1, the Numbers. We have allowed them to go to 50 BPD, but have not allowed the 60BPD permissible by the management plan, yet.. Please, plan to attend and show support for 1} the ICP and 2) not permitting Browns Canyon.

Is a permit system on Brown's a done deal? It seems the need to implement a permit system should be negated by the reallocation of 60 boats per day from the outfitters to privates on weekends/holidays.

There is not currently a permit system on Browns. We are hoping that the ICP will put an end to that in the foreseeable future, although we are all in agreement that if things change as far as private numbers go, then it's imminent in the future unless we can change things at the next revision of the Management Plan, and to tell the truth, I'm not sure if there's much chance of that happening, it will happen in 2010. The ICP will be much more than a band aid approach to things, IF we can get the Parks Board to buy it. That's what the meetings are for, show them that in no uncertain terms, the privates DO care about their river and unfettered access to it.

If the permit system IS a done deal, will we be able to shape the permit process by attending the meetings?

You can help shape the process by becoming involved and attending the Private Boater Task Force meetings, I think the next one is last week of Jan, 2PM on Tuesday. If you like, send me an email and I'll give you the exact date, but it is held here in Salida. As well, you can forward any constructive comments to me at [email protected] and I will be more than happy to give them a voice at the meetings.

On a related note, I've heard that the Fractions section is getting scruitiny by the AHRA. Any info on this? "

Not for boating. We have been discussing a way to deal with the trash that seems to accumulate at the camp areas, but other than that, nothing I'm aware of. We are looking at Section 3 for permitting, that's the Salida Boat ramp to Vallie Bridge, mostly a fisherman thing though. I doubt that anything will happen soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
marshall, thanks for all the time you've devoted to this. and thanks to all the other CTFers too. although no plan pleases all groups, this one seems like a good way to avoid permits for privates on brown's.

hope lots of private boaters show up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts