Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Alaskagrown
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adding a perimeter line to my 13' raft. Was looking for advise or anything to take into consideration. What are good knots to use? Should I leave loops in the end at the bow and stern? Any advise or even pics of how you've done yours would be awesome. Thanks all!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My girlfriend put loop cam straps attached to the d-rings as a perimeter line. You don't have to worry about knots since the straps are looped to the d-ring. The cam straps also lay flat against the tubes which helps to keep unwanted things/people from getting tangled in them.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
There was a lengthy thread in the spring about perimeter lines. Do a search to find it. Lots of options were discussed.
Here's some pics of what I did on my small raft. I used webbing and a cam buckle loop strap. Worked great and it's easily adjustable & removable. If you use webbing, always use polypro, not nylon. Nylon stretches a lot when wet.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
my votes goes to cataraftgirl's set up and use of hoopie. I do the same thing but because I like knots do a modified truckers hitch on the bow. Recommend hoopie over rope because it will lay flat on the raft. Less of a snag hazard but you can grab it pretty easy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have used both flat webbing and rope for a perimeter line and both work well as long as they're tight and easily adjustable. Cam buckle for webbing sure. I currently use a rope with a truckers hitch to tighten, then daisy the tail. I like to have the knot/hitch back by where I sit when I'm guiding.

But with either method I am a big fan of one continuous loop threaded through the D rings. If you tie off the ends to any of the D rings there are a few issues. It makes it more difficult to tension the line properly. Also when inflating it torques the D rings and cause premature damage to the D ring sleeve and D ring patch. Lastly is a safety issue. As long as the perimeter line isn't tied to a D ring, if someone gets hung up in the line you can cut it at any point on the raft, and although one end may get held up by a knot, the line should pull free and not entrap that person.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I liked the way this system worked. Easy to adjust with tube inflation. The webbing did lay flat against the tubes. In the future I'll make the loop strap a bit smaller. I also added the padding under the cam buckle to prevent any rubbing of the buckle on the tube. All my webbing and loop strap came from strapworks.com. Lots of color choices, and they will make anything you want.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I'm converting mind to 1" tubing for next season.

Wow--it's going to take a lot! 40'min for my Aire 156R and 32' for my 13.0 Trib.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I use 1" web webbing. Before I tightened it I fully inflated my raft than soaked the webbing pulled it pretty tight and tied it with a truckers hitch. I haven't had to adjust it yet but have to wet the webbing before I top off my raft. It is loose enough to grab when swimming but tight enough to avoid an entrapment hazard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would prefer hoopie over rope. Its important to wet it before you tighten down, and also to tighten it down with about 3/4 air in the raft. Once you top it off you'll be set.

If you want to use rope, bowline knot works great. As do truckers hitches.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I used a boat earlier this year that had 1" webbing as perimeter line. I hated it.
1 - Was rough on the hands when we were picking the boat up to carry it down the ramp into the water.
2 - I got my hand caught between my body and the raft while holding on to the rope when getting back in to the raft after a planned swim. As one of the guys in the boat pulled me in the edge of the webbing drug across my finger and pealed the skin off my first knuckle on my pointy finger. Bled like a stuck pig and hurt like hell.

So I'm going to stick with 5/8" no stretch rope.

DanCan

·
Registered
79 Posts
I went with something similar to cataraftgirl. Two loop straps off the rear d-ring and tubular webbing all the way around. Extra fabric under the cam buckle to avoid wear. Easy to adjust and the webbing is much softer than normal straps. I previously used rope and like the webbing setup much better.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I used a super stiff - non flex rope on my raft, and I have regretted it every time I've launched. It has negligible amounts of flex, but that also means that it is a supreme bitch to tie knots in - meaning that the hitch that I'm using to hold it in place is ugly and huge.

I'll be switching to a version of what cataraftgirl is doing soon.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
In my earlier post I said I use polypro webbing. My bad, it's polyester webbing. Softer and doesn't dry out and become stiff like polypro. Polypro is stronger. It's what cam straps are made of, but it does get a bit stiff after getting wet and dirty. The polyester is softer on the hands than the polypro. Just don't use nylon webbing because of the stretch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts