Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want a Sotar cat ( Legend only) that I can carry gear and a passenger. I boat in Cail so I want short and fat. Plan: get the Sotar stretched to 14.6 and add 1" to the diameter of tube think that would be 24 ". Slap a Madcatr frame and good to go. Need to carry some gear but want that Tunnel the whole way through the boat. So do I get a cargo bay, metal, or get some kind of mesh bag and add D rings in good spot? All comments welcome. Rip me apart.
( sorry about being so insane on some of my posts. back on meds and not so crazy)
That u Buzz!!!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I must have missed your crazy posts.....

I don't think I would go for a Legend in this situation. It is too flat to make it longer. I had a friend who had a 16' and it was like a tank. He sold it. Gear and passenger it is tough to beat an Aire Jag.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I agree with lhowmt. And you better order you madcatr now if you want to "slap" it on by the 2017 season. He's at least a year out. You can run a flat mesh on top of your frame and stack gear on that. Takes away. Your cooler will sit in the tunnel area.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 14 foot Legend with 23.5 inch tubes. It's great as a tandem setup and works well when I use it for early season MFS trips with my share of group gear but I should have listened to Ted. It's too big for any thing else. Get the 12.5 or stick with round boats if you want to carry a load of gear. Had a Jag too. Why drive a truck when you want a sports car.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but Legend + Madcatr frame = day/play rig in my mind. A passenger/gear cat is something else entirely. Based on the title of this thread it sounds like you're looking for the ever elusive "do it all" cataraft. That's a tall order, and you will have to compromise on some of things you're after. I started with a 14X22 Maravia cat, then switched to a 14X24 Maravia cat. It was a nice cat for 1-2 people and a modest gear load. I'd say to look at what you'll use the cat for most of the time, and go that direction for design & frame. I think you can get pretty close to the perfect 14 foot cat, but not 100%. I have no experience with Sotar cats, but lhowemt has lots and I'd take her advice on them to heart. Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 12.5 Legend and will be picking up and 11 footer that I want to make as light as possible. ( next post) This 14 ft. Legend will be for multi day / or passenger trips. I have am NRS frame that will work until the Madcatr comes in. A 14 ft. can carry 914lbs does not seem like allot when u put frame and 2 people on it. Bet that could easily be 250 lbs. Load capacity is over rated in my opinion and would like a boat that will still give me performance. Bet weight ratting is really about 1/2 of what they say. Cali does not have wind or miles of flat water, although I would like to take her down Middle Fork Salmon and Grand ( launch date may 5th) or maybe the S. Salmon That river sounds like my 12.5 and backpack style gear, light as possible.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I have a 12.5 Legend and will be picking up and 11 footer that I want to make as light as possible. ( next post) This 14 ft. Legend will be for multi day / or passenger trips. I have am NRS frame that will work until the Madcatr comes in. A 14 ft. can carry 914lbs does not seem like allot when u put frame and 2 people on it. Bet that could easily be 250 lbs. Load capacity is over rated in my opinion and would like a boat that will still give me performance. Bet weight ratting is really about 1/2 of what they say. Cali does not have wind or miles of flat water, although I would like to take her down Middle Fork Salmon and Grand ( launch date may 5th) or maybe the S. Salmon That river sounds like my 12.5 and backpack style gear, light as possible.
Sounds like you've got the day/play cat already. So why not get an ST cat & use the NRS frame you already have for your passenger/gear cat? Or perhaps get a round boat instead? Rafts are better suited to gear & passengers. After over 15 years of rowing cats, I switched to a raft last year and couldn't be happier. Just a thought.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re:l...Pound for pound of buoyancy, the cat is more efficient. The intricate seams, geometry, and hull friction make the cat best float per buck spent. However I too like the Sotar ST Rafts since they are a USA product

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm not as expert as some of these folks, but I don't see why that would be a bad design. Very close to the Lion 14 but the lion is even bigger still on the tube diameter.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The best 14' Cat would be a 11'/12' cat for play AND a 16'/18' cat for gear hauling and the Grand Canyon. A 14' Cat is too big for play and too small for gear. YMMV

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the round boat Sweet Sotar custom think it is 13.8 with a very low bow stern rise it was raced in the Eco-Challenge and then I picked it up but since I started cat boating I am like class 3 in the raft ( class 3+ low water). I want the speed and agility factor the cat delivers but if over-loaded then I loose serious performance. Need that perfect balance. Carry some weight but still make the moves on the Forks of Kern.
Maybe just increase diameter on tubes or just the length. I guess I will call Sotar but wanted to here what all the smart people have to say on Buzz about my crazy idea.
Appreciate the input from all yawl!!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I rowed a 16 foot Jag with 10' Carlisle Oars & blades at my whitewater guide course back in June through some Class 3 & 4 stuff (keep in mind I own a 11' Outcast/AIRE Mini-cat), along with a 16 foot AIRE Raft with standard floor, with oar frame & 10' Carlisle Oars & blades for comparison, and obviously the Jag was way sportier and easier to manage than the raft (both boats were relatively unloaded), but also just generally quite a lot sportier & agile than I thought it would be! It was like rowing a bigger version of my 11' Mini-cat and it can and does turn on a dime. The tube profiles of the Jag and my Mini-cat are the same with the continuous curve and essentially a pivot point in the middle which makes them quite sporty/agile to row. I would think if you had to pick ONE boat, the Jag wouldn't be a big stretch for gear stuff and/or a passenger, and medium-large river play boat day runs assuming you had the labour (buddies) to help you manage it at the launch & take out, which I would imagine most people would if you're running day trip runs. It would also be a great 2 man day trip boat for whitewater fun if you had the frame to accommodate this. Hell you could put 2 up front beside each other and sit behind and pound some big water! Based on some reports I've heard of guys running 2 paddlers in the front & an oarsman in the back on a 14' cat, I would imagine a 16' Jag would take this to the next level!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, want her really light. What do u think about removing the tube inside the tube and make them 1 chamber Like the way the 11 footers are?
Wish I would have pulled it out of my 12.5, bet I could save 15 lbs. per tube
Bad idea? Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Bad idea, for a gear boat. Especially with a passenger. If you have a catastrophic blowout, one side of your boat, frame, gear, and passenger is sinking.

Seriously, a Legend longer than 14' is going to be a pig to pivot and maneuver.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You are going to LOVE the 11' boat! Are you going with standard 21" tubes? I have a 2" dropseat on my frame, built specifically for the little boat. The dropseat is awesome! That little boat gets stopped pretty easy in big water, the dropseat helps keep me from catapulting.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bad idea, for a gear boat. Especially with a passenger. If you have a catastrophic blowout, one side of your boat, frame, gear, and passenger is sinking.

Seriously, a Legend longer than 14' is going to be a pig to pivot and maneuver.
Himmm. increase water like and more difficult to turn, wooooow I am finality getting it
fat for sure but the extra 6" is so tempting to me. was thinking that the 1" added to the dia. would be harder to deal with than extra length. Need help! I want her to be perfect.... Perfect for 2 passenger and some gear on class 4-5 river and make light as can be for me and thewoman. Got the 12.5 for the narrr ,11 footer to play.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
. Especially with a passenger. If you have a catastrophic blowout, one side of your boat, frame, gear, and passenger is sinking.

Bitch better get her ass on the high side!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Bitch better get her ass on the high side!!!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Let me get this straight.....you have an 11 foot Sotar Legend, and a 12.5 footer, and a 14 foot Sotar raft, and now you want another bigger Sotar cat for passenger/gear. Plus you live in Cali, land of no water.
#1 - why?
#2 - can you adopt me and buy me an 11 ft. Sotar raft for Christmas?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts