Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
What does the forum think of the Perception - Phat as a river runner? It is an older boat, but I'm getting it as a spare for a friend or my kid. I know that it was marketed as a creek boat, but it looks so much like a WaveSport Diesel, less the planing hull. Any thoughts are welcome.
Thank you,
Mayde

·
Registered
804 Posts
The Phat might be the furthest from a planing hull design you can get. It's a design that will show its age, and it's much better-suited to steep creeks than it is any sort of river running. If you're looking for an older, cheaper boat for river-running, I'd look at something more along the lines of a wavesport EZ.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Phat was and still is an excellent creeker. Good rocker, maneuverable, fast enough. Fine as a river runner, but designed for creeking. Not known for its tracking.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Oh, one other thing, if you do go with a Phat, be sure to pay special attention to the thickness of the plastic right under the seat. I had an old one that basically just wore through at that point -- there's so much rocker that you're putting most of the wear and abrasion on one hand-sized area at the bottom of the rocker.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would not pay more than 150 for one of these when there are better older boats like the wave sport ez for 200-250 and modern used boats like a mamba or diesel for 300-400 if you're patient and keep your eye out

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you benR I ended up getting the boat. it was only $110. It is in good shape. It will be my spare for a friend or an introductory boat when my daughter is ready to try it out. I've read that creekers are good boats for beginners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts