Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I'm not sure what it reads on the tag now, but back in the day Pelican Boxes were guaranteed against everything but "shark bite, bear attack, or children under 5." I always thought that was great.
The new warranty doesn't mention shark bite or children under 5, FWIW here it is

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I use the Apache. Drilled out and put a couple stainless bolts for an strap attachment on the hinge side. No straps to remove to open on the fly. 1/2 the quality but 1/4 the price, anything important or $$$ is in a ziplock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just ordered this one. Price seemed right. It won’t be holding anything super important (no big camera or anything...just some stuff) and if it does, it’ll go inside a small dry bag.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have the 1430 if that's the one with slots on the back to mount clamps for attaching to rail. It works great and I mostly use it for cameras, you need the space on a rail to mount it (needs to be a crossrail so it can be "free-hanging"). The latches get harder to operate as your fingers age...

I am now thinking about getting another case or two. One for whomever is sitting up front as a snack, phone/camera sunscreen, extra layer, etc. holder and one for a first aid kit.

Do the boxes ever get too hot when mounted on the rails/sideboards? I’m assuming not based on how many folks keep their DSLRs in them.

Also, any suggestions on a good size for first aid kit? The only local store I’ve found only has a few sizes.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Also, any suggestions on a good size for first aid kit? The only local store I’ve found only has a few sizes.
1550 or 1600 EMT case. Got mine from B&P photo online and it has everything on the GC major list though I substituted all the homeopathic remedies for Rx drugs. It's awesome. I also ran a threaded rod through the back fins and it mounts on side boards (if you want that). It is almost bulletproof. Love it.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
1550 or 1600 EMT case. Got mine from B&P photo online and it has everything on the GC major list though I substituted all the homeopathic remedies for Rx drugs. It's awesome. I also ran a threaded rod through the back fins and it mounts on side boards (if you want that). It is almost bulletproof. Love it.
I run the 1600 EMS case as well, really nice and large enough without being too large. I run it in a padded case from Tuffriverstuff that straps to the left side in my footwell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FWIW- I work in the live event / Tour Industry. Before that, video production. I'm no stranger to Pelican Cases. I SWORE by them for years, specified them for tours and shows without thinking about it. This made the time I was about to go rafting on the Snake and needed a dry box simple, stop in the store and buy a new Pelican. Long story short- faulty seal equaled destroyed key remote and phone. Pelican was happy to replace the case...they gave not two sh*ts about actual contents. I don't specify or suggest Pelican any more. I'm not saying there are better options (Nanuk is at least as good, though not as many options for sizes, Engel also)...but I do not love Pelican. The premium you pay for Pelican is for marketing, not for them to stand behind the product you are purchasing, period.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
FWIW- I work in the live event / Tour Industry. Before that, video production. I'm no stranger to Pelican Cases. I SWORE by them for years, specified them for tours and shows without thinking about it. This made the time I was about to go rafting on the Snake and needed a dry box simple, stop in the store and buy a new Pelican. Long story short- faulty seal equaled destroyed key remote and phone. Pelican was happy to replace the case...they gave not two sh*ts about actual contents. I don't specify or suggest Pelican any more. I'm not saying there are better options (Nanuk is at least as good, though not as many options for sizes, Engel also)...but I do not love Pelican. The premium you pay for Pelican is for marketing, not for them to stand behind the product you are purchasing, period.
I'll admit that the hoops they make you jump thru to get something warrantied is a little over the top.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I use a 1500. It’s super packed and probably not the most efficient for someone else finding stuff but I prefer the size and I’m used to it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
(Nanuk is at least as good, though not as many options for sizes, Engel also)...
I’ve heard really positive things about Nanuk but don’t own any. Maybe my next cases. I notice they have several sizes in red/white cross for 1st aid recognition. Probably better than the incognito grey of my 1st aid box.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I’ve heard really positive things about Nanuk but don’t own any. Maybe my next cases. I notice they have several sizes in red/white cross for 1st aid recognition. Probably better than the incognito grey of my 1st aid box.
I used reflective "DOT conspicuity tape" to make a red cross on my first aid kits, they are black... Works well..

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
None of these companies make an easy to tie down version. As noted above I had to drill the rear fins and add bolts to create a tie-down anchor. Such a missed opportunity for an upgrade that would cost next to nothing.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts