Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used either the Pelican Top Loading Case (the 1430) or their Vault Ammo Case as a captain’s bay dry box? I’ve been checking them out online, but no one locally carries them.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have the 1430 if that's the one with slots on the back to mount clamps for attaching to rail. It works great and I mostly use it for cameras, you need the space on a rail to mount it (needs to be a crossrail so it can be "free-hanging"). The latches get harder to operate as your fingers age...

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
The newer latches thankfully aren't nearly as hard to operate as the ones from days gone by. Peli boxes are available on Amazon, https://amzn.to/38n4LOx . I've used a 1400 case strapped to my side rail as a captains / personal box for the last 20 years. I think I'm going to get one of the third gen of latches, like the ones on this box. https://amzn.to/3i2orus I have them on a 1600 case and you just push in the center button and the latch operates effortlessly

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had trouble with the latches on my camera Pelican (age of course) so drilled 2 small holes in them and ran a zip tie through each. That gives me a nice big loop to pull.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. My thinking was to have a rocket box type sling made and stick the case in there.

·
Registered
Aire 156R
121 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. My thinking was to have a rocket box type sling made and stick the case in there.
That's exactly what I use. I have a 1430 in a rocket box sling on either side of the captains bay. For me, the boxes sat just a hair too low in the sling so I cut a piece of 3" minicell foam to sit in the sling to raise up the 1430. Now they fit great!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The newer latches thankfully aren't nearly as hard to operate as the ones from days gone by. Peli boxes are available on Amazon, https://amzn.to/38n4LOx . I've used a 1400 case strapped to my side rail as a captains / personal box for the last 20 years. I think I'm going to get one of the third gen of latches, like the ones on this box. https://amzn.to/3i2orus I have them on a 1600 case and you just push in the center button and the latch operates effortlessly
I use a 1400 case strapped to my side rail as a camera box. I added 1/4" SS bolts through the ribs in back and front for an easy way to strap it down but leave the lid/latches accessible. Need to find a better way to strap it on the dory. Probably need to add some matching footman loops on the dory's deck.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I had trouble with the latches on my camera Pelican (age of course) so drilled 2 small holes in them and ran a zip tie through each. That gives me a nice big loop to pull.
I did the same thing years ago, but I used a couple old tele ski leashes on mine LOL

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I use a 1400 case strapped to my side rail as a camera box. I added 1/4" SS bolts through the ribs in back and front for an easy way to strap it down but leave the lid/latches accessible. Need to find a better way to strap it on the dory. Probably need to add some matching footman loops on the dory's deck.
I just toss mine in the side hatch. Not really into a lot of extraneous stuff on the decks and it's hardly onerous to pop the latch and grab it..

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
DSLR? I don't want mine loose in the hatch, and I don't want to mess with the time to get into a box in a box. Some of my best shots are just above and below rapids of the others going through them.

yeah, maybe I need a new waterproof mini camera.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
DSLR? I don't want mine loose in the hatch, and I don't want to mess with the time to get into a box in a box. Some of my best shots are just above and below rapids of the others going through them.

yeah, maybe I need a new waterproof mini camera.
No, I keep a Nikon Coolpix W300 dive camera out and ready, my DSLR is in a dedicated peli box, seperate from my captains box, I can't really tell the difference between the dive camera and the DSLR as far as quality of images, and it takes videos too in a flash. Survived 3 grand trips and never missed a shot, the battery life is as well 4 times that of my DSLR..

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
If you look up Apache boxes on harbor freight they are equal quality for a 1/4th of the price
I have heard "good but not great" comparisons on the Apache boxes. I'd trust my trail mix or sunscreen to them, but not my DSLR.

then again I did bust a latch on my Pelican 1350 hurriedly putting my DSLR in it before running Chittam on the Main. Good thing the dory was a dry ride because the case wasn't completely sealed with only one latch functioning. New latches were only $15, but didn't get replaced until I was 3 weeks off the river!!

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
If you look up Apache boxes on harbor freight they are equal quality for a 1/4th of the price
Not anywhere close to equal quality, I bought 4 of them for non essential stuff, IN the hatches of my Dory, 2 of the 4 leaked right out of the gate, not a lot, but they did leak some. I submerged all 4 in my hot tub for 15 minutes, got a shot glass of water out of one, about half that out of the other and 2 were bone dry. They are flimsier than pelican brand name and the gaskets and hinges are way less substantial. I certainly wouldn't trust them to keep anything worth any amount of money dry, but they worked well if you looked at them as you would a dry box. Dry in theory only, all bets are off in a flip.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
New latches were only $15, but didn't get replaced until I was 3 weeks off the river!!
Pelican boxes have a lifetime guarantee. Granted, it's an onerous process, but I've had 3 old ones replaced with the latest models as a reward for all the grief.

·
Registered
614 Posts
And change your gaskets at least once a decade... I've got half a dozen Pelicans, give them swimming pool test before a trip, new gaskets seal 'em up bone dry!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pelican boxes have a lifetime guarantee. Granted, it's an onerous process, but I've had 3 old ones replaced with the latest models as a reward for all the grief.
I'm not sure what it reads on the tag now, but back in the day Pelican Boxes were guaranteed against everything but "shark bite, bear attack, or children under 5." I always thought that was great.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts