Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got gouge on the Pecos or Taos Box for the last weekend of August? I'm looking to do class II and III. Wanting to do Pecos from Pecos to Villaneuva State Park. I'm a little concerned about the water levels. Should I be? Taos Box would be my backup. If I have to do TB, anybody got suggestion on where to drop in so that I can end up at a camp ground? We're doing this in one man duckies.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You could get lucky and the Pecos might be boatable due to rain. I've heard the better run is downstream of Villanueva.

Not much water coming from Colorado to run the Taos Box this time of year. You could run it, but you'd need to portage the three steep drops. John Dunn Bridge near Arroyo Hondo is the normal putin.

Your best bet would be the Chama below El Vado. The dam has been mostly turned on of late.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cadster,

Thanks for the info. I'm new to paddling in NM. Do you know of any other places that are good this time of year and are within 2 hours of ABQ?

·
Registered
614 Posts
White Rock Canyon is a nice stretch, but with access problems.

I recall reading folks paddle below Elephant Butte depending on water coming out of the dam.

I'm sure there are other places to get wet on the Rio Grande.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. It looks like I've got a few options now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts