Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a fairly large 4" crack on the hull of my creeker under the seat. I put two layers of bitchethane with generous coverage around the crack. Took it down bailey for its virgin post patch run. I noticed that the bitchethane appeared to bubble up or push back from the hull (on the inside of the boat) exactly where the crack was in a small diameter around it (size of a quarter maybe). It held water fine as its a large patch and the extra margins held, but I'm concerned that long term, its not going to hold if the bitch backs off a bit right on the crack.

Anybody have experience sealing up larger cracks with bitchethane? How did it hold up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Did you heat up the boat and bitch before applying? that helps. I would also cover it with copious amounts of duct or gorilla tape on top of the bitch just to help it out. You will probably put another crack in your boat before the bitch breaks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
reply to fix crack

I had a 5" crack in my creeker and fixed it w/ a "whaley Weld" - awesome. First - it is important to drill out the crack, or it can run. A whaley weld is similar to leaving duck tape on something in the sun, hard to get off. You heat up the inside (scuffed and cleaned) with a heatgun until it is hot to touch > apply duct tape > heat tape til it bubbles > push it down with back of spoon (not sliding, more like a thousand lift and press motions = slow). repeat 4 -5 more times, staggering tape. you are left with a FLEXIBLE, waterproof patch. I took that weld over 100 rocks in a day, justt to test it out... bombproof. google whaley weld for a link, I think it is on this sight.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You need to drill a hole at each end of the crack, because it will otherwise spread overtime.

I fixed my boat, which had one 5 inch crack, a 1 inch gouge/hole, and another small hole. I paddled everyday for about a month and half in it, and it never started to leak.

You defiantly need to take off the bitchethane and drill a hole at each end of the crack. My 5 inch crack started off only 1 inch long and then spread because I originally didn't drill it out. Directly underneath the seat is a very vulnerable place for cracks to spread so this is key.
Peace,
-Christian

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drilled holes at each end of the crack. I did heat up the boat and the bitchethane with a hair dryer to get it nice and warmed up.

What seems to be happening is that the crack flexes and the bitch appears to bubble up a bit right at the crack. No leakage of water though. Just wondering on durability.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Durability shouldn't be a problem, it sounds like maybe it should have been cleaned better or that you applied the second layer before you heated it so the first layer didn't bond right? Of the 16 cracks on my huck not one has bubbled up. Maybe try heating it a bit more, there's also no use for more than one layer, the bitch stretches so much that the second layer will never come into play.

btw, longest crack was just under a foot & I never bothered to drill the ends (LAZY)

KT

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did heat both layers and cleaned up the crack. I think perhaps the problem is that the crack creates sort of a small valley type indentation so its hard for the bitchethane to get down in there. I started on one side of the crack and tried to push the bitchethane into the crack, but its an uneven surface. Its not too bad I guess...

Never used the bitchethane before, so I put one more layer over the crack area just in case of a puncture rupture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts