Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a road trip with a borrowed dog and a keeper girlfriend from Co. Spgs. to Salida to BV and back.

Checked Parkdale very closely. It's clean of ice bridges and clean of ice in most eddies. From Pinnacle rock down. Now, it doesn't look to be flowing over 300 CFS, but it's open. No ice chunks even floating in the water.

Between Texas Creek and Cotopaxi, there's a lot of snowpack along the river's sides that might throw ice in at some point, but even it looks clean. I'm talking about snowpack about 2 feet thick, but it's all up on the banks.

Stopped at the BV ballfield and it's clean across but really low. The sides have ice all over the place, but if ya wanted to surf, and if it's deep enough, you could.

The whole of the Arkansas that I viewed was remarkably clean of ice everywhere.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Any word on ice in the RG?

Laurie

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's what I love about you Dane. No sense of shame whatsoever. Parkdale at 300. Sounds awesome. I'm thinking the Gorge could have some ice bridges. Mike should do a solo run and let us know.
cb

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have no interest in the ice scout of Royal Gorge. I can guarantee there is a lot of ice in there.
That said, don't dis Parkdale at low water, Brobin. Bring your loopin' shoes.
Sunday forecast calls for 53 degrees in Canon City. Who wants to hit Parkdale with me? (I work in Denver Thurs-Sat night, so Sunday is the earliest possible for me.)
-Mike

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
There are a few of us talking about a Sunday desperation Parkdale run.

Wellsville is at 500cfs... It won't be THAT bad.

Laurie

·
Registered
586 Posts
There are a few of us talking about a Sunday desperation Parkdale run.

Wellsville is at 500cfs... It won't be THAT bad.

Laurie
Right on, Laurie.
Let me know how your plans shape up. I definitely will paddle Sunday. There's very decent play on Parkdale at low water, if you can stand the ice cream headaches!
Craig - maybe you can hitch a ride with them down from the 303.
Chris, Dane, you guys in?

-Mike

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
They have been dumping 200cfs out of twin all winter long... So you will have more water than the past few years..

Here in BV it was 6 deg at sun up this am... Parkdale is no doubt still be cold but warmer.. I bet you can even throw a few ends in good old double dip!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Tim -
Love to have ya, man.
This has the potential to turn into a carnival. I, for one, am gonna bring a big cooler of beer and I will endure the ice cream headaches to throw down in Double Drop. There's way-plenty water to throw lots of endage in there - in fact I'd prefer it at 350 for optimum loopage, but 500 will work.
Fingers will be too numb to open beers at the take-out, but we'll find a way!
I think this definitely is a heat-of-the day trip -- no 10 a.m. launch for me (brrr).
I'd like to think about putting on the water between 12 and 1.
Any takers???:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fingers will be too numb to open beers at the take-out, but we'll find a way!
As long as it doesn't involve the loss of a good chunk of my thumb like it did following our trip down the Numbers in Nov.!! The bottle opener is now a constant staple in my drybag :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Man! You guys move fast. Mike I really want to get out, but I'm out of town this weekend. Do you still have Wednesdays off? Maybe we could do a weekday thing?

I WANT TO PADDLE!!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mike when we were you planning on leaving?? Julie is working this weekend, but I might be able to work something out.
CB

·
Registered
586 Posts
Chris -
Jim Spouffske and I are gonna hit it --- He needs to be at the pool session by 5. So I think if we put in around noon, that will give him plenty of time.
Jordan and Tina Butterfiled are going to come as well (new club members from Pueblo, cool kids).
I told Jim I'd meet him at old Parkdale at 11:30.
If you can make it, be at my house by 10.

Craig --
Sorry, man. Yes, the natives are restless. I do theoretically still have most Wednesdays off - but the next two or three are going to be tough - might be a series of 50-hour weeks for me.
We'll stay in touch. We'll hit it soon.

Jordan and Tina -- Can you make Old Parkdale at 11:30?

Party on!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mike-
weather looks great for this weekend, so we will meet you there at 11:30am.

Timmy-
Ill be disappointed if we dont see you there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts