Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been good and warm for a few days and in the 60s today and the forecast is for 60 tomorrow.
I'm jonesing hard and thinking about a Parkdale run - but I hear that there were ice bridges last week.
Has it been warm enough for long enough that they are gone? Does anybody have a visual yesterday or today, specifically Spikebuck to Parkdale?
If it's mostly clear, I want to run it tomorrow afternoon.
Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
-Mike

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
I looked at it on Sunday. The dams are 'mostly' above Pinnacle. Three Rocks, Spike Bucks Five Points and Sharkstooth were open with a few dams below Sharkstooth. Taking out looks difficult due to the 2' ice shelves along the banks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks -
With these warm days since you saw it, I'll hope that it's maybe even a bit better than what you saw. I might check it out tomorrow.
Anybody interested in a wednesday afternoon run — drop me a pm or something.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It has been warm, but what counts is the shade. I would not expect the ice banks to retreat just yet. Still, as long as one side of the bank has some sunshine, you should be able to find a ice free eddie. Anything in shade will be iced up. Just bring a mountain bike and ride the whole run first to see the ice conditions.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I have the day off tomorrow, and would really like to go boating, but I don't think the ice situation will be good down there. It just doesn't get enough sun.
I know the milk run is clear...it's lame, but it's the only thing on the Ark that I know you can boat and get out of safely right now.
If anyone has got a visual of Rincon, I would be interested in it's condition. II+, III- with a little play at these flows, if it's clear...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I checked Parkdale out today. It's doable. There's a bridge below Spikebuck in the swimming hole that could be portaged. The ice is pretty built up along the banks for a good portion of the run. You'd be walking over ice if you take out at "old" Parkdale, but it's better than climbing up the ice at Parkdale. Post if you go.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Too late for the Wednesday trip, but I'll be taking a few pictures of the ice situation later today and will post them tonight.

ps.... don't even think about the section above 3-forks. :twisted: That's the worst ice in the canyon, by far.

I have no idea what the Royal Gorge looks like.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Parkdale looked better today. There's still a small ice bridge below Spikebuck in the swimming hole and it was thin. Taking out at Parkdale wouldn't be a huge issue. The weather is suppose to change tonight and tomorrow which may build the ice back up a little. 60's in Canon City is not 60's in the canyon.

The Gorge is iced over heavily in parts, no sun is getting down there.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Here are today's pictures. Wednesday, 13 JAN 2010

Here's a link to the pictures I took today, Wednesday, 13 JAN 2010. They start at Old-Parkdale take-out and work all the way up to Texas Creek.

Arkansas River 13 JAN 2010 pictures from rivers & lakes photos on webshots

desciptions are below the pics. click pic to view full screen, click again to zoom.

Lots of ice bridges. Some are small (30-50 feet long) while some are massive (100-200 yards). Not all are in view from the road. There were some sections that I couldn't see while driving such as Puppy Dog, Loose your Lunch as well as other random areas. Most eddys are iced over. Some places the current pushes under the shelfs. Some of the open water channels pinch down to a few feet, or inches even.

Take a look if you desire to run it, or just want to see what's up. The thickest ice is up stream of 3-Forks where the river is completely covered for a mile or so. Many places along the entire Parkdale run split channels of open water between ice island and shelfs only to terminate into solid ice bridges later, with no chance of escape.

Arkansas River 13 JAN 2010 pictures from rivers & lakes photos on webshots

Enjoy.

ps.... I have run it in winter a number of times, but never like this. It's ugly right now, IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
uh, bring the skates

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I drove down and looked at Rincon today, clear, and there isn't significant ice on the banks in most places...II+ to III- whitewater with a few play spots.
A friend and I plan to hit it up mid-day tomorrow.
Can't say I want to spend another day on the hill until we get more snow...
not to mention it was toasty here today, and supposed to be warmer tomorrow :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts