Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been thinking about painting or clear coating my aluminum frame. Not looking to powder coat it. Just want to see what boater have used to paint frames and have had success with.

I’ve been researching painting aluminum on the net. I’ve found the prep to be the biggest part to painting aluminum successfully. Any suggestions or tips on aluminum prep is greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone have experience painting aluminum with Diamond Clear (from Eastwood) or Flexcote colored paint (from Por-15)? Just wanted to see if anyone has used these products for their frames. Wondering how they did it and how the paint is standing up to abuse?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Try POR-20 (from POR-15) aluminum primer.

I used their Hardnose paint. It seems to hold up great to strap chafing and UV, but does abrade just a bit all summer on shuttle trailer rides--between the frame and raft tubes.

Aluminum is a bugger to paint. make sure you scuff sand, sandblast, or chemical etch it to give you more surface area for the paint to bond to.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is this to prevent black marks on your raft or to customize with color? I've used a urethane tape designed for moto-x on the bottom of my raw aluminum frame with success thus far to keep the black marks away.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this to prevent black marks on your raft or to customize with color? I've used a urethane tape designed for moto-x on the bottom of my raw aluminum frame with success thus far to keep the black marks away.
Spenceuiur its a little of both. I've sealed one frame with krylon clear before and liked the finish of the raw aluminum look. It lasted about a season and had to redo it. Just wondering what others have tried and had success with.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Same deal here. Clear all around and tape on contact points between boat + frame. Only one season in with the tape but so far so good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Start with chemically clean pipe , i.e. an acid wash, One can use gloss krylon thin film or for a thick film a western automotive catalyized gloss. Follow the temperature guidelines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts