Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Although I have boated class 3+/4, I am now seeking to get out and enjoy the scenary and rivers on easier runs; more fun and relaxation, less adrenaline (although I must confess if I find a nice play hole, I might be magnetized to it for awhile :) )

I also love weekend camping/paddling trips; run a river during the day, hang out at camp later, with perhaps a trip for dinner... (camping in style!)

Is anyone else out there interested in this type of paddling?

Whatever you do...

Enjoy!
Annie

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
the Floating World

I'm keen on drifty pleasure floats. Various lengths, with mates, friends, and dogs. Also late-season runs (e.g. Lodore, Deso, Labyrinth, North Platte, South Fork of the Snake) for solitude and grand displays of gold cottonwood leaves.

I've got catboats and am happy to row support. (Within reason.)

PM to trade e-mail addresses.

·
Super Moderator
4,016 Posts
Annie,

My wife and I may be interested in doing some Upper Colorado (below State Bridge) overnights this summer. We've got an oar rig and can row support (also within reason). Lets keep in contact.

--Andy

·
Annie,

My wife and I may be interested in doing some Upper Colorado (below State Bridge) overnights this summer. We've got an oar rig and can row support (also within reason). Lets keep in contact.

--Andy
Andy, I've run the upper C quite a few times to State Br., but I've never gone below. Keep me posted if you plan a trip. I have rafts and all the gear.
Rog

·
Registered
451 Posts
Interested

Count me in. I want to try some of the 10 and 12 foot river touring boats like the wilderness systems Tsunami on easier runs (class II). I will ride in a raft and let other interested people try out these boats as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sign us up!

I would love to meet some people interested in these kinds of trips.

I just bought a small raft and have been outfitting it for these kinds of floats. My girlfriend, dog, and I have been getting excited to finish this process and get out there for some nice overnight or multi-day trips! The only thing that would make it better is more people and more boats!

Not to get too specific, but some places we are considering visiting include:

Ruby/Horsethief
Dolores, Slickrock to Bedrock
Northgate Canyon, put in at Six Mile Gap and float from there
Juniper Canyon (Yampa)
Gunnison River, Dominguez Canyon
Rio Chama, New Mexico
Green River, below Flaming Gorge Dam

Does anyone have any beta on these, or maybe you were already considering a trip there? Our boat is not too big, but we could probably offer some support.

Let me know,

Clint

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got a new raft/frame this winter, and want to start out on some of these floats. Multi-day would be awesome. I have paddled quite a bit, and have oared Pumphouse to State Bridge a few times, so I am not completely clueless. :). So if there is room in the train for a beginner, let me know. I am in!

- Josh

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Aye Josh, et al

Great on all the interest! If there's a plan to do any weekend overnight, give a shout!

I was also thinking of getting a smaller raft; I had a friend who had a small one, that fit only 4 people. Does anyone know of any place to get a good deal on a good raft (that doesn't weigh too much!!), used is fine!

Enjoy!
Annie

PS
Think we can have a Tripping forum added here?
or
does Colorado have a rafters/touring boat message board?? - or should we just share our email addies here so we can all connect and plan??

·
The buzz already has a trip planner forum. PM messages also works well to keep the private chit chat off the main posts pages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife and I are both teachers and are off all summer. We love long easy flows and overnights. Count us in. Maybe we should all meet someplace and talk.... Then paddle.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Low-class anarchy

Rather than getting too organized, how about posting a notice for this sort of trip as it comes up? Probably best to do it on the Forum and also on the Trip Planner.

I'd be glad to host a trip on the North Platte (given a decent water level). I'd love to learn the upper Colorado and other runs mentioned.

Thanks to Anne for bringing it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How about the weekend of April 28-29?

Fellow Leisure Floaters,

Emily (my gf) and I talked last night, and decided to plan a weekend float for April 28-29. Would anyone else be interested in/available for an overnight float on that weekend? Any ideas where we might go? Seems like the Colorado is running nicely. Suggestions?

We are early 30s, professional, easygoing, with a small 12.5 foot oar rig and a chocolate lab. Could run light support (its a small boat). We've both paddled some, but are green on the whole captaining a raft thing, so we are looking for a pretty mild float. We plan to run mostly with backpacking gear with the exception of a cooler full of beer and fresh food and an enhanced kitchen setup.

PM me or just post a reply here if you are interested. We can meet beforehand or on the river. Whatever works for you! Kids, families, couples, kayakers, grizzled beer-swilling cat rowers, all are welcome!

Clint

·
Registered
172 Posts
rios with the kids

My son(now 6) and I ran the upper c several times last summer in our ducky, always lookin for like minded folks to join in the fun. Christmas tree canyon below state bridge is a haul to get rafts out but doable. count us in.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Fellow Leisure Floaters,

Emily (my gf) and I talked last night, and decided to plan a weekend float for April 28-29. Would anyone else be interested in/available for an overnight float on that weekend? Any ideas where we might go? Seems like the Colorado is running nicely. Suggestions?

We are early 30s, professional, easygoing, with a small 12.5 foot oar rig and a chocolate lab. Could run light support (its a small boat). We've both paddled some, but are green on the whole captaining a raft thing, so we are looking for a pretty mild float. We plan to run mostly with backpacking gear with the exception of a cooler full of beer and fresh food and an enhanced kitchen setup.

PM me or just post a reply here if you are interested. We can meet beforehand or on the river. Whatever works for you! Kids, families, couples, kayakers, grizzled beer-swilling cat rowers, all are welcome!

Clint
I would love to do it but I going to be flying back into denver Friday night and I might be leaving town again Sunday afternoon. Keep me informed on the trip details, I would like to make it if possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Leisure Trip Details - April 28-29

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/members/badazws6.htmlHere is the weekend plan as of right now.

We are thinking Upper Colorado below State Bridge sounds about perfect for an inaugural Leisure Float. So, start on Saturday, camp out along the river, and then float to the takeout on Sunday.

Right now, we are not sure how far we should float. Maybe State Bridge to Burns? Would that be long enough? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I found this website, which is pretty informative:

http://home.mesastate.edu/~jerry/guide/c14.htm

And of course, the BLM guide to the Upper Colorado is a good document to look over.

http://www.co.blm.gov/gsra/documents/up_colo_riv.pdf

Right now, the main planning issues, as I see them, are to determine who is coming and to make sure that we have the right combination of boats to ensure that everyone gets the support they need. Our rig is small (12.5 feet), so the level of support we will be able to offer on our own is not huge.

Questions that come to mind:

Are you interested in an overnighter?
What time could you meet at the put-in?
Have you run below State Bridge before?
Have you camped along this stretch?
How much support would you need (i.e. how much stuff do you have that someone else will need to transport on the river)?
What vehicle would you be driving?

Finally, if you live in the Denver area, do you think a quick meeting would be useful?

PM me if you are interested in joining our flotilla!

Thanks and we hope to see you on the river soon,

Clint

1 - 20 of 20 Posts