Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Denver is listed as a best city to live in as a paddler since it is a "....gateway to all the notorious Rock Mountain classics--Black Rock, Bear Creek, Turkey Creek and Eleven-Mile."

Do the editors at Paddler Magazine actually paddle?

·
Registered
206 Posts
paddler mag

I think paddler went down hill in a hurry when they last switched editors. When my subscription runs out i think i'll be trying out canoe and kayak mag, got a couple of freebies awhile back and they were really good.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Denver is listed as a best city to live in as a paddler since it is a "....gateway to all the notorious Rock Mountain classics--Black Rock, Bear Creek, Turkey Creek and Eleven-Mile."

Thats a joke right?

Dan what you up to?

KP

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Despite the fact that bear, turkey and 11-mile never run and well, turkey creek is barely notable, Denver does have more great paddling within a day trip than anywhere else in Colorado. That, and the city has jobs and affordable housing. V's Big T, Gore, Clear, Boulder Creeks, St. Vrain, Poudre, NFSouth Platte...IV's Clear Creek, Poudre, Arky, Roaring Fork...III's South Platte, NF South Platte, Poudre, Arky.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turkey Creek is mankier than Bear Creek and Bear Creek may just be the mankiest piece of manky- manky imaginable.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yea it has to be a joke.. Wait denver does have that super sweet play park right by the outdoor version of walmart right..

IMO denver does not even have saliver beat for a paddlin town and we all know salider is not at the top of the list..

Nice quote by kirk...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
That was an awful quote. Denver is a great place to live, and I've experienced my fair share of BV and Salida to know that great backyard kayaking only goes so far in making me call a place home. I need more than the BV bible belt for entertainment on Sunday. As a front-ranger, BV's kinda like my other backyard. ;)

Bear Creek, Turkey and 11-mile? Huh? I'm an optimist when it comes to classifying runs as classics, but those don't cut it. Black Rock might be classic roadside, but if you wanted classic you might try LSB or USB for starters... or maybe a little known canyon called Bailey or Waterton. I don't mind mank if it's classic front range mank like SSV or Alto Alto, or even WF Clear Creek. Bear Creek is a novelty and Turkey is just dumb. 11-mile can be cool, but Cheesman is actually worth mentioning.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Lefthand will give Bear a run for it's manky,and a couple of the manmade drops on Cherry would be the grand champions of mank if they lasted any distance,just rows of sharp rocks of varying size imbedded in concrete riverwide.

I don't know why they listed those picks,but I'd say the front range has more runs[30+] and variety than the Ark and tribs[apx 15].The Ark,Poudre, and Summit Co. are doable as day trips from Denver too.Ark has alonger season.BV and Salida are better but FR has at least 6 play parks,I guess there is Pueblo and Canon City now on the Ark.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Lefthand will give Bear a run for it's manky,and a couple of the manmade drops on Cherry would be the grand champions of mank if they lasted any distance,just rows of sharp rocks of varying size imbedded in concrete riverwide.

I don't know why they listed those picks,but I'd say the front range has more runs[30+] and variety than the Ark and tribs[apx 15].The Ark,Poudre, and Summit Co. are doable as day trips from Denver too.Ark has alonger season.BV and Salida are better but FR has at least 6 play parks,I guess there is Pueblo and Canon City now on the Ark.

·
Registered
498 Posts
A school teacher in Prineville Oregon started River Runner Magazine in the mid-1980s. I was a charter subscriber. In its original incarnation it was heavily oriented toward rafting, which I appreciated since that's what I do. The magazine changed hands several times and evolved into Paddler Magazine, which focused mainly on kayaking. I lost interest and let my subscription run out. Today, websites (like this one) have all the info I could ever need on rivers that I might like to float. Magazines are obsolete.

·
Registered
807 Posts
IMO denver does not even have saliver beat for a paddlin town and we all know salider is not at the top of the list..
dude you are now starting shit in nearly every thread you post in. we may have to settle this like men with a 2 night home/away series of shuffle board at the Vic and Rope.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

these fuckers are just trying to bring MORE people to the front range, i hope they read it and hop in turkey creek with their inner tubes. total fuckin bull shit. no one pays attention any more, they just repeat what they read, and here we go again..........

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Denver is a great paddlin city when you compare it to the likes of St Louis, Miami, Dallas, San Diego, Omaha, Chicago, NYC, and the list goes on. I guess Denver is also a great ski city if you compare it to the same places... Most in NYC or Chicago would say that denver is more of a cow town than a city but if you are rankin them Denver is pry great for a paddlin city.. For me anyway anyplace where gang members out number paddlers is kinda hard to call a true in the blue paddlin destination....

Now true paddlin towns have a river in their blood. The river is a real part of these places and the people who choose to live in these places.. Some towns are so shaped by a river that everyone is tied into the river in some way and you can feel it in these towns. Here in CO places like BV, Salida, Durango, CB, Aspen, Glenwood, Gunny, Steamboat, Canon City, and the list goes on are paddlin towns. Funny but when I go to denver I get a lot of feelings but never have I felt that denver was a "paddlin town".. Now that I think about it Denver is pry a good "paddlin city"...

Harv I would take you up on that but the rope is closed for most of the rest of the month as most people with any brains have left BV for somewhere warm.. Also connie got rid of the shuffle board 5 or so years ago - you are right man you need to get up here more :).

Oh shit I just got a great Idea!! How bout a "powder 8's" comp!! Hear me out on this it has wheels. A sothern chaffee team and a northern chaffee team in the BC (backcountry for our front range friends - this is a place just past summit co).. Winner takes home well the braggin rights that come with such a contest. No silver here just a 1st and a last place.. We could then post pics on the buzz here and have a vote to see who is the chaffee "powder 8's" champ!!! Maybe Cutchor Bob builds could find a someone/anyone from denver to compete with.. A three or four team comp Sic..

Cutch I invite you to come up for a real BV sunday session here in your "backyard" of the ark river.. Us local boys will gladly take you to our "backyard" here around bv for some skiing.. That is if you can make it through the I-70 gridlock!! I got a extra sled if you got the time to wait in traffic. More than one first timer to one of these sessions has headed back to the "range" after a religous expirence!!! The past two sunday sessions have been well something you wont find anywhere near denver... Hey but there is good news for denverites - I hear loveland pass is great right now :roll: and they said copper got like 7" out of this storm!!!

Anyway for you that don't know and I shouldn't even have to say this but this is all in good fun.. Take it for what it is...

To harv and cutch it is time for you guys to get up here and compete in the greatest powder 8 comp ever held in Colorado!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
QUOTE]

Ol' RDNEK is starting to sound a little desperate. Here he is again trying to bag on Salida. It's like he's getting dumped and his ex girlfriend has decided that Mr. Salida is a better choice. Now he's trying to save himself by telling his ex how cool his car is and how much gel he uses in his hair. In the end, for his ex...it just doesn't feel right. (extended metaphor)
You see lot's of folks have positive things to say about both Salida and BV. The biggest difference for me is that most the posts from people psyched about BV are from people who used to live there, but have left. I can't figure out if it is downturn in the economy or a lack of opportunity that caused this, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
339 Posts
NYC shouldn't be lumped in with those other cities. There are probably hundreds of decent creeks and rivers within a half days drive from New York City and you can paddle year round with some decent rainfall.

Denver is a great paddlin city when you compare it to the likes of St Louis, Miami, Dallas, San Diego, Omaha, Chicago, NYC, and the list goes on. I guess Denver is also a great ski city if you compare it to the same places... Most in NYC or Chicago would say that denver is more of a cow town than a city but if you are rankin them Denver is pry great for a paddlin city.. For me anyway anyplace where gang members out number paddlers is kinda hard to call a true in the blue paddlin destination....

!!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Paddler

Maybe just maybe BV or Salida may have already been on the list. Just throwing that out there. They have been doing this for a while and Ashville can only win so many times.

I'm sure they would have rather picked Boulder, but that darn cost of living thing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Home town

Seems like everyone is defending their chosen hometown so I'll defend mine and get in a few jabs in the process. CB has some paddling and some skiing all within minutes of town. A good home should have low or no crime and no traffic. For skiing can you say steep. For backcountry options look out the window. As far as paddling within 15 minutes of traffic-free driving: OBJ, Daisy, Slate, East. Up to 2 hours: Pine Creek/Numbers, Clear Creek, Lake Creek, and all other Ark runs and tributaries, Taylor, Lake Fork, Cinnamon Gorge, Crystal River, Crystal Gorge, North Fork Crystal, Devil's Punchbowls, Yule Creek, Big Cimmaron, Black Canyon, Gunnison Gorge, Uncompahgre Box, Escalante, Slaughterhouse, Castle Creek, Shoshone and a few other lesser known runs, all with no driving in traffic, ever. Play spots: Gunny Whitewater Park, M-Wave, Fluffy Muffin, Glenwood Park, and other river play spots, Mank: North Fork Slate, Ruby Fork, Henson Creek, Smith Fork. Did I mention no Traffic. We can also drive traffic free to Durango area runs, New Mexico and its paddling justice, Southeast Utah and to the traffic ridden and crime infested Front range area. Did I mention year round recreation like skiing, also 10 minutes from the house. And the skiing is steep and I don't mean like Copper or Loveland steep. With 50 days of backcountry skiing this year all within a few minutes of the door I can't wait to do laps on Oh-be after work this spring. I love my hometown.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts