Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious if anyone has used a paddlecat with a kayak paddle instead of R1 with a paddle.

I'm mostly interested in how it would work for a beginner in class 2-3 water. We usually bring an IK along on multi-day trips but end up rolling it on more challenging water days. My hope is that the experienced folks would be interested in R1/R2ing in the 3-4+ water.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm trying to picture how that would work. Would you be sitting on the floor of the cat, like a kayak? You'd probably have to hold your paddle above your head to get it to dip properly into the water, and I'm thinking you'd need a paddle probably twice as long as what you'd use for an IK...

If you want to solo run a paddle cat, I think you'd be much better off building a small frame with some 8' oars...

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,275 Posts
Check out Custom Inflatables Custom Inflatables, Inc. | Ready to give you the ride of your life!. I had a ThrilKat made with 15” diameter tubes 10 feet long with a 14” wide seat - total width of 44”. I paddle it with a Werner Skagit which I think is 230 cm. It’s fun and is quite stable. Prepare for water landing in your lap. A bit of a challenge to get back into after a swim with the tall tubes.

·
Beginner
2,603 Posts
You R1 or R2 a raft. You S1 a Shredder or paddle cat. And you use a raft or canoe paddle, typically between 55" and 60". And you don't keep up with oar boats in the pools if there isn't some good gradient.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm trying to picture how that would work. Would you be sitting on the floor of the cat, like a kayak? You'd probably have to hold your paddle above your head to get it to dip properly into the water, and I'm thinking you'd need a paddle probably twice as long as what you'd use for an IK...

If you want to solo run a paddle cat, I think you'd be much better off building a small frame with some 8' oars...
I was thinking of kids sitting on the thwart in class 2 rapids. Maybe I'm overthinking this and I should just give them a couple of paddles.

I am planning on making a row frame for it, but I don't want a frame when it is used as an "extra" or "kid's" boat on a multi day. I want to be able to roll it if needed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm curious if anyone has used a paddlecat with a kayak paddle instead of R1 with a paddle.

I'm mostly interested in how it would work for a beginner in class 2-3 water. We usually bring an IK along on multi-day trips but end up rolling it on more challenging water days. My hope is that the experienced folks would be interested in R1/R2ing in the 3-4+ water.

Thoughts?
16in diameter cat tubes 12in between tube with kayak paddle works

1 - 9 of 9 Posts