Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at gettin a new paddle soon and wondering how to determine optimal paddle length, feather, blade shape and shaft/blade material. Also, what do you think of the Waterstik Karma bent shaft? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
No one can tell you what your optimal paddle would be, only you can do that. The trend is to shorter paddles with less offset. I have tried waterstick, cool looking, cool feel in your hands but it has a kinda weird pull to it. Me personally, I would probably go with the AT4.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I know no one can tell me what to get. I was mainly looking for a reasonable approach to choosing paddle length. Thus far, it looks like 194 is pretty standard for an all-around paddle. I've paddled with an AT, but didn't really like it. I thought it to be too heavy for me. Thanks though!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good Karma

I have a waterstick Karma 197 and I love it. It takes a little getting used to, but it only takes a little while. I thought it felt a lot better than the at4, but then again this is just my personal opinion. I like my 197, but then again I'm 6-3 so maybe check out the 194 or 191

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Length determination is based on what you plan on doing with it and how tall you are. That will be your guideline, then its up to.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I tried the waterstick bent shaft again on the river and loved it and bought it. Wanted to update my previous post, been paddling with an AT3 for a while, used someone else paddle and realized it was quite heavy compared to others.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the update, gh. When I have the money I plan on getting the Waterstick. Anyone want to buy an Eskimo Kendo? :lol:

SOYTR

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like the Waterstick Karma paddle I have, it has a nice grip- especially for larger hands. My only complaint is that it tends to delaminate at the ends quite easily and is not rock friendly relative to other paddles I've used. Has anyone else noticed this- have they improved this in their most recent paddles? -D

·
Registered
9 Posts
WaterStick...

I haven't paddled with a Waterstick Karma but I love the power of the blade design. I paddle with the Waterstick Zen.
After paddling with a Waterstick, the power drop off is VERY distinct when I try someone else's paddle.
Also, the Zen is so light, everyone comments on it, even if they are just loading paddles for a shuttle.

Plus... it looks pertie for the camera.
-Dan
(To Yonder... I paddled most of last summer with a Zen and didn't have any delam issues. I have heard that some older versions of the paddles may not have been as durable at the tips, but I am also using the all carbon Zen. )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts