Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a recommendation on a paddle for a 6'4" guy to start out with. I am wanting to upgrade my rec fishing paddle...lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
paddles

depending on your weight, you might want to go beyond traditional fitting guidelines. Alot of people I know prefer longer paddles, and modern boats are trending wider. I plan on custom ordering an AT superduty 209cm bent shaft. I believe this is just as important as picking a boat for larger paddlers!

·
Registered
30 Posts
depending on your weight, you might want to go beyond traditional fitting guidelines. Alot of people I know prefer longer paddles, and modern boats are trending wider. I plan on custom ordering an AT superduty 209cm bent shaft. I believe this is just as important as picking a boat for larger paddlers!
so, are you tall as well? long arms? I always thought it be nice if you could get a 209cm length with a 197cm grip spacing.

I bought a 205 cm custon bs from werner years back, eventually i scaled back to a 197, i felt my grip was too wide and hurt my shoulders. has anyone comment on this?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm close 6'-5" with a 6'-8" wing span. A 200cm werner powerhouse does just fine. I would maybe go to a 203 but I honestly don't see it being that big of a deal. I recently sold a 191 and used that on some pretty decent sized rivers.

I'm more of a buy it, get used to it and it is what it is type of guy though. Don't sweat the small things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
paddle

I tried a "pre-sherpa" werner that had slightly less blade volume than a sherpa with a slightly different shape in a 197. It just wouldn't get the xp10 where I wanted it on a class 3 run. like spinning my wheels! I went back to the 240 after the rest of the crew with tons more experience than me told me it looked like I could use a longer paddle. the 240 gave a lot more boat control and confidence. Later on I tried the 220 again, and got the same response.

I bought a Karma L a few months ago, and while it's a foot shorter it is practically the same volume as the xp10. same story, after selling the 197 and the 240 I went to the middle ocoee. I did very good considering I just started in a skirt this past march, (Total noobs personal first decent) but was worn out trying to keep a very fast boat in with playboaters playing. I know more blade volume will help the most. I'm 6-2 270lbs, so will probably go down to 206 like a guy I talked to in TN.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It totally depends on what kind of boat you're paddling and what kind of water you're paddling on. I'm 6' 4" and have a 200cm for creeking and river running, and a 197 for playboating. If you're in an inflatable you'll want to go longer 205-210. So, what kind of paddling do you plan to do?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hillbilli, you should consider tracking down a 200cm to try out. I think you'll have plenty of leverage and won't have the extra cost of custom every time you need a new paddle. Now that you have a sweet kayak that can handle any river that you would ever want to paddle, getting comfy with a paddle length that is easy to find could be helpful over the long haul. Not to mention as you get better and work on your stroke technique, getting your paddle shaft vertical during your stroke will be much more difficult w a paddle 210+. Just a thought...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hillbilli, you should consider tracking down a 200cm to try out. I think you'll have plenty of leverage and won't have the extra cost of custom every time you need a new paddle. Now that you have a sweet kayak that can handle any river that you would ever want to paddle, getting comfy with a paddle length that is easy to find could be helpful over the long haul. Not to mention as you get better and work on your stroke technique, getting your paddle shaft vertical during your stroke will be much more difficult w a paddle 210+. Just a thought...
I agree, You don't need that extra length, 200cm is plenty long enough. Also think about if you are ever in a position where you have to use a break down. That break down won't be over 200cm so you will be much more comfortable and confident dropping into what lies down river.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm 6'4" with a pretty standard wing span. I use a Werner Sherpa bent shaft, 197cm. It's a little small, but it gets the job done. If you go under 200cm, get a straight shaft. A bent shaft paddle limits where you can hold the paddle, while a straight shaft will give you more flexibility.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts