Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I know there's numerous threads regarding the pluses and minuses of 0 degree vs 30/45 degree paddles. I'm trying to decide what's right for me based on and old injury. My right hand is my power/control hand and is in perfect working order. My left however has extremely limited mobility due to an old snowboarding wrist injury. The only range of motion is throttle down position. Turning my hand (with my wrist) left, right, or up is impossible. No pain, just impossible. Does anyone have a recommendation that would compliment the fact that my left hand position is basically fixed?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I suggest you just find out:

Grab a normal 30 deg offset paddle. Most all offset paddles are "right hand control," so this is good for you!

Sit in a chair and practice doing some foward strokes, some draws, sweeps, what have you.

You can change the angle of the paddle by holding with your right hand and rotating it through the left fingers.

You will quickly see what you can and cannot do. If that paddle doesn't work, try a different one. Of course a skulling draw/brace on the left side might be impossible, but more basic strokes might be doable with some new muscle memory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Didn't know how much wrist movement in the non control hand was crucial. I read in a few of the past threads that the 0 degree offered more of a fixed position, but maybe I interpreted it wrong. Thanks as always for your quick responses.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like that you have no movement over there, and therefore no options.
I think demoing some paddles will help you learn what offset suits your situation best.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have almost the exact problem that you have. Good right hand and a disabled left. I went to a 12 degree bent shaft and I am able to paddle again. I was told that 12 degree is actually neutral because when you turn your shoulders to make a stroke it actually rotates the blades 12 degrees without moving the wrists. Sure has worked for me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The bent shaft keeps my wrist in a more neutral position so I don't have to bend my wrists back as much. I always joke with my friends..."I'll lend you my boat but my paddle is my livelihood." I had to custom order mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts