Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm thinking about getting the Sotar Cloud 9 sleeping pad instead of the Paco Grande. I have been a river gypsy for years now camping out all summer guiding and kaykaing and have never had a sleeping pad of any sort, but got a 21 day Grand trip on April 8'th and figure its time.

First of all Sotar is the sh*t and I like the idea of a C-7 valve and the foam seems to be a little more firm and supportive? I haven't had the chance to test either, but am a little concerned that the Paco Grande foam will be to squishy and I'm not sure about the float bag valves. Obviosly the Paco's have bomber foam that will last. Buying one by tomorrow! so talk me out of the Cloud 9, price is not a factor, the paco grande is the same price with my pro form.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For sleeping purposes a I got a aire landing pad. Much better foam inside than paco. Memory type foam that is quite a bit more comfortable than my grande paco. That said, the paco is better on the boat for daytime use, lays flatter. Aire pad is tough to roll and heavier. Never seen/felt the sotar. good luck.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have a friend that has a sotar pad he'd give away. He says even with the air valve open it is a brick for sleeping on.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Another vote for the AIRE landing pads. I've been using them under a shitty futon mattress at my girl's house since boating season ended. Daily use for a few months now and they are still in great shape.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the landing pad have the same float bag style valves as the pacos? I do tend to like a firm surface better. I like the idea of having a spare valve for my raft if i really needed it and i could see the threads on a float bag valve wearing out? I usually sleep in a hammock, but I don't think that will work in the Grand Canyon lol..

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I think maravia pad is Usa also. Aire and sotar and nrs arent. The foam in my jpw silverback is very comfy and has held up well. The valves are a pita

You might see if you can find a shop that has one and go take a nap on it

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I was under the impression that sotar pads were made in the USA (Grant's Pass). That alone would be a good reason to stick with the Grande Paco. Thanks

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I haven't tried the others, but I sure do love my paco pads. The valves don't seem to be much of a problem. I've had mine for many years and they still feel like brand new and the valves still work fine. Try and get a white one if you can. I bought a yellow and a white one at the same time. The yellow one gets pretty hot and a blue gets down right hot in the sun. The white one remains cool to the touch and is the preferred one to put over the big cooler.....Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I usually sleep in a hammock, but I don't think that will work in the Grand Canyon lol..
+1 on the hammock....most comfortable sleep hands down. But you have to have trees. If there are suitable trees, I like to sleep in my hammock. Otherwise, I'm on a roll-a-cot with a thermarest. I tried to love Paco pads for years, but I just couldn't. Heavy, hot, uncomfortable, & hard to roll up. I don't need one on my boat, so they held no purpose for me. Plus, I love not crawling around on the ground with a pad, and avoiding the creatures that are crawling around on the ground if I'm sleeping under the stars. If you're set on a pad, I'd definitely would get one with the raft type valve. I really didn't like the valve on the Paco.
KJ

·
Registered
797 Posts
Did they change the foam on the landing pad? I know they started reinforcing the corners. Mine held up for a few seasons then broke down.

I believe you can just call jpw and he'll make you a pad with whatever valve you want if you don't like the stock one. Jack's silverback is hard to beat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rol-a-cot would be sweet, but there is no room to snuggle under the stars?;) and I do dirt-bag it and sleep in my subaru a lot so it would be nice to have a durable pad for that. Almost went thermarest but I'm worried about poking holes in it.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
No...the cot doesn't lend it's self well towards snuggling. Neither does the hammock for that matter (unless you're very flexible & acrobatic ;)). But they both are comfy. I agree, a thermarest isn't sturdy enough for a river rat & ground dweller. My group are mostly cot folks, with a few Paco folks mixed in, so I've never had experience with the other brands. I just remember hating that valve on the Paco.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Looks like turtle is ready to pull the trigger, but if you have time you might consider making your own. I found the foam that I wanted, bought the material and the same kind of valve my boat uses and put them all together. I got a five inch thick pad. No need to ever roll it up, I just have it across the cooler in the second bay of my boat.

paco.JPG

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the landing pad, the older version, it has held up fine. It has a halkey roberts valve. I'm not the perfect buy everything american made consumer, but you cant beat the price and the design is now better than it used to be.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I found all of our JPW pads on craigslist on the cheap. There is a paco grande on Salt Lake City CL for $120 right now. I have found Jack's to be the best and Maravia the other end of the spectrum with the others falling somewhere in between. I also suggest making a sheet for whatever plastic pad you go with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good lookin out swimteam101! your avatar is sweet where is that, Cross? and yes cataraftgirl there is an art to hammock snuggling and it is usually epic:cool:.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts