Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
That is awesome, crazy the stuff their sending. That hike looks a lot better without having a hardshell kayak on your back. Not too familiar with all the packrafts but the couple I have seen were soft bottoms. Seems like that could be troublesome on slides, do they offer any protection or can it be a little rough?

Reminds me of when the guys filming for TGR named that slide in Norway “prison love” in Valhalla back in the day for the posterior experience.

Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is awesome, crazy the stuff their sending. That hike looks a lot better without having a hardshell kayak on your back. Not too familiar with all the packrafts but the couple I have seen were soft bottoms. Seems like that could be troublesome on slides, do they offer any protection or can it be a little rough?

These have at least 5" of inflated-to-suit-you seat between you and the rock.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Upper Merced

Cool trip report Mike!

Back some years ago I was spending tons of time in Yosemite climbing Big walls & lived there for two years straight. I was on the Search & Rescue team & we had to do a S&R/carry out from up in that drainage. Its so beautiful in there. I remember looking at the slides & drops but but not from a kayaking standpoint. That was long before my kayak career & probably before people were even giving it consideration. The water at that time was actually probably even too low for a good decent.

Anyway...keep up with the trips.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool trip report Mike!

Back some years ago I was spending tons of time in Yosemite climbing Big walls & lived there for two years straight. I was on the Search & Rescue team & we had to do a S&R/carry out from up in that drainage. Its so beautiful in there. I remember looking at the slides & drops but but not from a kayaking standpoint. That was long before my kayak career & probably before people were even giving it consideration. The water at that time was actually probably even too low for a good decent.

Anyway...keep up with the trips.

Cool that you got to see it before it became the shitshow that it is today.

I read something yesterday about the first d's on the upper Toulumne -- '83 I think? If it took them that long to run something that good that's roadside they probably weren't looking super hard at hiking the ~15 miles in to do this one just yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts