Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
My husband and I would love to travel somewhere this winter Dec/Jan with our packrafts. Does anyone have any recommendations for packraft trips in Costa Rica?
My family and I did a guided day rafting trip on the Rio Sarapiqui. Moderate whitewater as I recall, and a road runs along the side - not remote but nice all the same. You probably know about the APA forum, but just in case - International

·
Registered
219 Posts
There's lots of whitewater in the country, but the most popular sections are in 3 different areas.

~The Sarapiqui zone, which is close to La Fortuna has lots of Class II through IV/V. Travis at Selva has good beta and kayak rentals.

~The Turrialba area which has the Pacuare, Pejibaye and more. Good class III through V Pacuare Outdoor Center is your best bet for beta and the best whitewater kayak rental fleet in the country. Plus a sweet lodge on the Pacuare that is a VERY worthy overnight or multi day stay.

~ The Quepos area, which has the Naranjo, Savegre and Guabo, Class II through Class V depending on the season. This is your best option if you want to be on the river and near the ocean.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Turrialba is a great place for boaters to hang out. Go to the square and ask or most of the boater type places to stay will know local outfitters. Been a while but I enjoyed several trips to the area and just about any class run is local. Good food and the locals are friendly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts