Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in getting a packraft but have struggled with the sizing when paddling those that belong to friends (I’ve only paddled Alpackas). I’m almost 6’6, 200 lbs. Does anybody have a recommendation for a packraft to fit the big and tall community?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Duh, chop yourself off at mid-shin. I'm sure your pants are highwaters and you wear an XL jacket just for sleeve length. Freak.

6'5, 205# here. Sorry I don't know packrafts, just had to chirp a fellow tall dude! Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m interested in getting a packraft but have struggled with the sizing when paddling those that belong to friends (I’ve only paddled Alpackas). I’m almost 6’6, 200 lbs. Does anybody have a recommendation for a packraft to fit the big and tall community?
Depending on the type of packraft you’re looking for, Alpacka makes their main-line boats in several sizes each. My buddy who is 6’7” and 205 paddles an XL Alpacka Gnarwhal. He had a large classic, but it was too cramped.

We do multi-day trips in the GC via technical side access (permitted of course), Selway, Snake, Delores, San Juan. Etc. best low water option in my opinion.

So if that’s the type of boating you want to do, Alpacka is the only option worth considering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the laughs and recommendations. I paddled a buddy’s XL Alpacka Gnarwhal and still felt like there wasn’t enough length to get my knees out of the way for optimal paddling. It looks like the Kokopelli Recon has a longer interior length than even the XL Alpackas, but I haven’t had the chance to demo one or find one to sit in, nor have I been able to find much in the way of reviews. I have a 14.5’ raft and would like to add a small, light-ish boat to use on multiday trips that my kids can eventually paddle. An IK might be a solution but I would prefer lighter and less bulky.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the laughs and recommendations. I paddled a buddy’s XL Alpacka Gnarwhal and still felt like there wasn’t enough length to get my knees out of the way for optimal paddling. It looks like the Kokopelli Recon has a longer interior length than even the XL Alpackas, but I haven’t had the chance to demo one or find one to sit in, nor have I been able to find much in the way of reviews. I have a 14.5’ raft and would like to add a small, light-ish boat to use on multiday trips that my kids can eventually paddle. An IK might be a solution but I would prefer lighter and less bulky.
Call Alpacka. They may be willing to work with you on doing something to accommodate your needs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have you looked at the Aire Bakraft? I have the bakraft expedition and I love it. I’m not tall but I prefer the traditional self bailing duckie design over other packrafts. It’s slightly heavier than a Alpaca but not much, I think mine weighs about 10 pounds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The double maverick from NRS would be a good all-around option. You can solo it sitting backwards, stick the kids in it, and it weighs less than 50 lbs. They’re pretty fun in whitewater, but misery in the wind. More info here.

Better yet, get a canoe! Plenty of leg room, makes whitewater exciting, and they’re great for entertaining the littles. We do multi day trips and carry all of our own gear. Waves tip you over backwards less often in canoes, too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Alpackaraft makes XL packrafts. You have to special order them.

Alpackraft makes XL packrafts. You have to special order them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Better yet, get a canoe! Plenty of leg room, makes whitewater exciting, and they’re great for entertaining the littles. We do multi day trips and carry all of our own gear. Waves tip you over backwards less often in canoes, too.
Thanks for the ideas! We have an old second-hand canoe but it’s too tippy for more than one person in moving water. It’s a challenge even on flat water lakes honestly. I’d like to upgrade it someday. When that time comes I’ll be kindly seeking your advice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts