Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have tried to take salad on the multi day trips a couple of times with little success.. It seams that it likes to turn brown and look terrible.. I have tried keeping it up off the ice so it doesnt have any contact there... Would vacume sealing it help.. Should I make my own salad rather than a store bought salad... Or should I just bag it all together and go with another side... I'm sure there is a trick to keeping salad for more than 4 or five days in a cooler..

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You have to buy bagged salad. It is packaged o2 deprived so it keeps better. The rigid ppastic containerized ones are especially good imo but pack lousy in a cooler. There is also a really good kale mix salad available (w dressing in a separate bag) that is awesome and keeps great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Get whole heads of whatever lettuce you like. Get rid of the outer leaf wrap in paper towels then into a unsealed plastic bag and keep away from the ice. I try to keep mine high and dry in a rack or tub that I don't have to mess with much. The more you move it the more it gets beat up. Use red leaf, green leaf first, then go to iceberg, romaine or some cute little organic ones that someone got in Boise that still had little root balls on them packed in the hard plastic. That was the best damn lettuce ( four different kinds) on a river trip ever. Supposedly it was still alive. But it used a ton of space even if it did last the whole week.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,466 Posts
carve has it right. whole heads, and veggies in general are the way to go. iceberg will keep for 2 weeks at least and cabbage forever it seems. made fresh coleslaw on day 23 last trip. cabbage and carrots will keep the fresh veggie craving at bay on the longest trips. strip the outer layer, paper towel wrap and vacuum seal for best results. drier the better. the more you cut stuff up in advance the more likely it will go bad.

·
Registered
984 Posts
This is simple!

Pre cut lettuce in a bag goes bad fast, and is not cost effective either. Simply a waste.

For best results:

1. Buy the bag with three romaine hearts the night before you are to leave. Figure 3-5 salads per head depending on group and type of salad.
2. Cut them into 1" strips.
3. Process them per directions of your salad spinner. Usually this is just a short cold water soak followed by a few repetitions of spins. Spin it one more time than you think you need.
4. Place washed and dried lettuce in a ziplock bag along with a couple paper towels. All three heads will fit in a one gallon bag. Suck the air out as you close the seal. Store in fridge until you pack it in your cooler.

You will have crisp fresh lettuce for a whole week. Guaranteed results!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I don't know what kind of problems you guys have had with packaged salads but we've used them for week long trips no problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts