Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just picked up a new raft this past weekend and the wife unit and myself are looking at doing an overnight float trip in a couple weeks. This is my first boat and we are new to the area, so a beginner to intermediate trip would be preferable. Any suggestions around the front range area?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response, but I have no idea what Ruby/HT is, nor Westwater? Can you please clarify? Apologies for my newbness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks climber! I had considered the upper C... actually, just did Rancho to State Bridge last week for the maiden voyage. Any idea what the camping situations are like from Pumphouse to Radium?

Thanks!

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Ruby / HT is Colorado / Utah boarder. Westwater is the next section down. I suggest getting a copy of White Water of the South West Rockies and Colorado Rivers and Creeks (if you can find it). As for Pumphouse to Rancho / State Bridge, there are many camps. Get there early and be on water early if you are concerned about finding a camp. You will need a grover. You can camp just about anywhere, but the designated camps are nicer with more shade. Do not over think it. Go out and find the adventure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help Brendo!...Much appreciated. I'll look for that book and continue researching.

·
Registered
64 Posts
FYI, Westwater isn't a beginner trip--it has one class IV that often flips rafts (I've seen at least one flip more often than not on trips I've done), and it is in a boxed-in canyon, where rescue or escape can be challenging. And you'll need a permit (typically reserved 2 months in advance). Its a great trip once you've done several runs and are up to it, or if you have a group that's willing to watch your back and help you if you flip or wrap, but not to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Roberts.. i'll definitely take that into consideration. I'm leaning towards Pumphouse to State Bridge for our first trip. Seems to be a good float to get comfortable with our new boat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It will be a fun, mellow trip, and the fishing is fantastic right now. I was up last weekend, and this past weekend. Needles Eye is easy, Yarmony is easy as well, but you may want to scout it out if you haven't been thru that area before. After Yarmony, it is just cruiser.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Similar to Roberts81 warning on Westwater, I would stay away from Browns Canyon if you classify yourself as beginner/intermediate. At these flows it is a bit more forgiving, but still several moves to make in Pinball and Widowmaker that could pin your boat if you don't take the right lines. Browns is an intermediate level run. At this level, Upper C has a couple rapids, but more forgiving than Browns. Ruby Horsethief has no signficiant rapids at all.

Upper C and Ruby HT are you best options and I would do Ruby HT if you are going without other boats. Both have details on respective websites (might both be BLM, cannot recall) that tell you what you need to have and give you a sense of the water. Also agree that you should pick up Colorado Rivers & Creeks. I wasn't aware that was hard to find now, but it has tons of good info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot for all the feedback guys! We actually did Brown's last weekend in a mini me! We R4'd it, but I was not steering the boat... so much fun! I think we'll do Upper C next weekend and hopefully we can get out to Ruby/HT by the end of the season.

·
Registered
55 Posts
how do you like putting 4 in a mini-me? I have a mini max and I put 4 in there a few times and it makes it so much different to maneuver. So easy to run big lines with 2 strong men in it but as soon as we put my gf in the front it rides quite differently and takes a lot more work to move thru technical lines.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We had 2 girls and 2 guys... I sat up front with my wife and opposite the guy in the back. It was a blast... with 4 people in such a small boat we had a lot of maneuverability and power.

How do you like your mini max? I just picked one up last weekend from Riverboat works. I put a fishing frame on it, but were planning on doing some R4 stuff on it as well. You think you could R6 on a mini max?

Browns Canyon on mini me

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Consider putting in at State Bridge and floating to catamount take out. You'll have better camping and fewer boats- bring ear plugs for the trains on upper C- you've been warned......

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Wife Unit" is just simply my wife. lol

I've camped at State Bridge many times... I actually like the noise the of trains for sleeping if you can believe that. I'll definitely consider State Bridge to Catamount... I hadn't even thought about it. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts