Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 40 year old Avon and a 25 year old Riken that I keep rolled, but recently purchased a RMR Stormcloud and was shocked at how poorly it rolls for storage. I wanted to extend the life of it as it will probably be my main raft. I used a Pinterest thread about hanging a pickup topper in the garage and added a cheap harbor freight hand winch and I am thrilled with the result! The raft is high enough that I can still park my Tundra in the garage and can back my truck or trailer in and crank the raft right down to be strapped down and ready to go. Didn’t see a lot of raft ceiling storage forums so thought I would share.
Green Line Wall Wood Gas

·
Registered
84 Posts
I own a 40 year old Avon and a 25 year old Riken that I keep rolled, but recently purchased a RMR Stormcloud and was shocked at how poorly it rolls for storage. I wanted to extend the life of it as it will probably be my main raft. I used a Pinterest thread about hanging a pickup topper in the garage and added a cheap harbor freight hand winch and I am thrilled with the result! The raft is high enough that I can still park my Tundra in the garage and can back my truck or trailer in and crank the raft right down to be strapped down and ready to go. Didn’t see a lot of raft ceiling storage forums so thought I would share. View attachment 82142
Love it. I went a little over kill on mine! That box goes on my flat bed trailer…
Wood Architecture Beam Building material Ceiling

·
Registered
995 Posts
Love it. I went a little over kill on mine! That box goes on my flat bed trailer… View attachment 82143
Did you construct the box yourself or have an outfit do it? I'd love to have something like that to drop onto my sled trailer for the summer and not have to buy another trailer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you construct the box yourself or have an outfit do it? I'd love to have something like that to drop onto my sled trailer for the summer and not have to buy another trailer.
I did. The wood is a simple box with MDO plywood and glue on carpet. The tail is welded steel with a roller attached. I used whitewater worthy’s design. Here is a link for more pics.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
These are awesome! I considered overhead for our round boat but the damn oar towers kept it too low. I sure envy that ceiling height bkgarlington! I sure wish our garage didn't have a truss roof, or it could have been scissored like part of the house.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RMRs are amazingly horrible at rolling up... That is kinda what happens when you overbuild a PVC boat though.

So whats the hardware list on that pulley system? Is there a good nice kit somewhere?
I second the request for a hardware list - or more photos so I can figure out how many pulleys I need. BTW - these are all great systems. I have a really low garage ceiling and would need to snug up super close - but I think I can do it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You don't need a bunch of hardware to hang things. I hang a 4 bay wood frame and metal floor from the ceiling in my garage which I would guess is more than 100 lbs but less than 150 lbs. To get it up there I use 4 straps attached to eye bolts and just go from corner to corner and it goes up quickly.
Wood Floor Flooring Building Hardwood

1 - 16 of 16 Posts