Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of designing a fold down outrigger platform that can be folded down. The concept would be to have it out when rigging, loading etc but it can be folded in when traveling and storing thereby making the trailer much narrower. Anyone else either do this of think about doing it?

Basically it would just run along the straight sides of the trailer decking and would come out about 6-8".

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish
I have a trailer to avoid rigging/de-rigging. DOT sets the max width, but why would it need to be wider than the raft?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[email protected]

I'm designing the trailer to be EXACTLY the width of the boat - actually slightly smaller. When working on it (rigging, getting on and off it when not in the water) it's helpful to have some place to step onto the trailer decking. But that extension would make it wider than I want it to be. Thus I want a "temporary" extension aka outrigger platform that can be there during those times.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You could mount a number of stake pockets on the side of your deck frame, and have your temporary platform drop in to the stake pockets. Then make a place under the deck platform where they get securely stored during travel.

Or for a low tech, but more annoying solution because you'd have to move it around to the area where your are "working", you could just get a folding Gorilla Bench to stand on.

·
Fuck vertical scope
69 Posts
Why? when a step ladder is easier and much cheaper. how are you going to strap the boat down when there is a hing and platform in the way? Why does the trailer need to be narrower then the boat?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Sounds like a lot of complication and added weight you don't need.

Having had a few different trailers and used a bunch of other peoples trailers... I would just keep it as simple as possible if I were to build a trailer. Basically, just a nice simple flatbed trailer that only has enough clearance underneath to match the vehicle pulling it. I'd also want it to be low enough to be able to load and rig without needing to stand on anything. Oh, and as lightweight as possible...which would mean an aluminum one (even though my bank account would scream at me for it...buy once cry once I guess).

Storing stuff underneath is great...but it necessitates the raft being way up off the ground. I can pretty easily fit my dryboxes and cooler, along with a few packed dry bags and such, in the back of the truck... and most everything else can be pre-rigged onto the raft including oars and frame and a few cargo items.

Having something low slung, in addition to making it easy to load stuff, it below the level of the roof of most vehicles...so you don't have a raft poking up into the wind getting dirtier and killing your gas mileage (as much).

I was thinking something like this (in Aluminum)...

Simple, low, and streamlined and basically as low as you can get it without going crazy. I totally get that you'd want it narrow and sleek. Adding a more complicated deck system is just gonna add weight and having to set it up and break it down every time sounds like a pain. Better to just make it 4-6" wider then the raft IMHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts