Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Hyside Mimi Max for paddling! New to rafting. Not interested in a frame at this point. So, how best to attach things like dry bags? In my Hyside IK, I have run a foot long strap through adjacent drain holes to create a loop -- then do the same on the opposite side of the boat -- then I can run longer straps through the loops to secure a dry bag. Is this pretty standard? (I see AIRE makes a small thwart bag that could be handy.) Storing a spare paddle on the outside via the D-rings seems pretty straightforward. For short trips, I can just put a few things in a dry bag and attach it to the 1 interior D-ring (but I expect it would flop around in any big water). Any suggestions? What am I missing (besides a frame!)?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Try a strap looped around two adjacent thwarts and cinched tight. Then another strap or loop of rope between the two. Clip drybags/throwbags to it. Also handy as a grab rope when you're highsiding.

Think about a cooler/cargo "trailer" frame and a drop bag.

I like my spare stuffed under the thwarts or under the thwart end against the tube. I don't like paddles lashed to the outside as they can be a knuckle-banger. A necessary evil with a mixed (oar/paddle) boat.

Also consider foot cups. :twisted:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I strap my dry bags to my thwart on the opposite side I am paddling on. On my raft 13' if I have a crew I put the cooler in front of the rear thwart and the dry bag on the opposite side of the rear area I paddle on if r2ing I put the cooler in front of the boat and dry bags in back just atached to the thwarts. Have flipped a few times and nothing has ever moved.

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
Oooohhhh...... Be wary of straps making loops and then more straps making more loops. I have recurring nightmares of a foot being caught in something that like during a flip. And then being pinned between a rock and a raft while foot is trapped. Be thinking Hell, Handbaskets, Worst Possible Time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That's why I have a tight strap around the thwart.I am very Leary about having any loose strap or loose end on my boat.I make sure the straps are the correct length, so there isn't an entrapment issue.

·
Registered
287 Posts
maybe use a mesh drop floor in the front/rear/both depending on # of paddlers and river to hold dry bags...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These straps seem to have potential.
Daisy Chain Straps
I assume you could run these around main tubes or thwarts.
(Possibly even run straps through the tiny loops rather than just biners?)
Yes, I am paying attention to entrapment -- the "loops" I have created through the adjacent drain holes are very small and tight -- not that easy to use -- a fair safety trade off! (they mimic the long line of loops on AIRE IKs, but even smaller. I am open to being corrected for unsafe practices!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts