Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips on outfitting a creek boat, specifically the cfs....curious about building up the thigh braces so they fit better and adding foam to the seat. Any tips would be helpful.

thanks,
Matt :?

pumped to have a creek boat!!!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Lots of smaller folks like the seat in a creek boat lifted. My homeboy paddled a Big Gun for 2 seasons on lots of stuff out east and loved it at 145# - once he lifted the seat. I found the CFS to need very little outfitting. The thigh braces are aggressive, and could use a little more foam for some folks, but the main thing I did was add 1.5" foam to the backband, so that the cam strap holding it actually curved, rather than went straight across the boat. Now I have better back support.

If you aren't tall like me, consider adding layers of 1" minicell to the bulkhead rather than moving it up. You can cut slices in the foam and stack it up till it hits your feet. Tao does this in his creek boats and I imagine he knows a thing or two about pitoning. Also, Clay Wright claims that after sanding the underside of the cockpit coaming (or is it combing?) and putting a layer or two of contact cement on it to make it tackier, he has never suffered a blown skirt.

For low-volume, technical stuff, the CFS is bank. You should enjoy yours.

steve

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
To lift or not to lift?

Lift it. No question. You'll get fast edge transfer, more weight over those edges, and quicker rolls and braces because your hands are closer to the surface. Not to mention cushing for those big drops. Happy spine.

If you think it works good in your creek boat, you should try it in your playboat. I've been trying several different pads this summer. Some are better then others, but they all make a noticable difference.

Just make sure to adjust your hip pads to fit after you have padded or lifted the seat.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yep, foam on top.

Carve and lift. Say, yes to foam. Or you can buy preformed pads. There are some really good ones on the market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts