Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried searching and couldn't find an exact answer to my problem so figured I would reach out. Upgraded my raft and got a trailer, really excited for the ease of loading and unloading to get on the river quicker. Still working on the trailer (roller bar, decking, etc.) but I have to store it outside without a carport or similar. Its been getting warmer and one day I decided to check on it at the storage facility and it was river tight (parked it around 80% full, soft but held its shape?) and got me thinking more about the oven I had created with the tarp. This is my current set up that has me worried about temperature changes
Raft Tarp.jpg

Should I just poke holes in the top of the tarp to let the hot air out?
Mesh tarp that will allow a small amount of UV?

Would like to hear some ideas/thoughts
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Whitewater designs makes a really sweet boat cover.. I've had mine now for 8 or so years, still looks brand new. That being said, I roll the boats in the winter and put them inside.. The cover lets the boat breathe.. With a tarp, I'd be worried about mold too..

Reactions: agrankin

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 on Over It. Raft Covers. Ive had a cheap car cover get destroyed in the first big wind storm. Shell out the cash and get a nice cover if you are storing your boat outdoors.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
+1 on Over It. Raft Covers. Ive had a cheap car cover get destroyed in the first big wind storm. Shell out the cash and get a nice cover if you are storing your boat outdoors.
I agree, what's a couple of three 400 bucks to protect your $10,000 investment

Reactions: BradBeniger

·
Registered
224 Posts
SO maybe I’m a little slow, but not real sure why you don’t just let some air out? Soften that girl up and don’t worry about it, it’s a tarp, been covering boats for how many years? Do you have any idea how many boats are stored partially inflated in metal buildings all over Colorado in the heat, for commercial companies?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Over it raft covers are awesome. Got mine last week for my new boat. So far it has been awesome. Worth the investment to protect your boat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked up a large Over It cover for my 14ft rig with fishing frame and seats. I fits great and appears to be well made. We shall see, time will tell, but I am impressed so far.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I used a cheap tarp to cover a raft awhile back. I must not have let enough air out. It was a beautiful sunny day and boom. Like a 12 Guage shotgun went off. Blew the seem. Now I store my rafts in a Costco 10x20 canopy. No more boom.

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
IMHO, let air out when it's sitting for a while and top it off before you hit the road so it's not squishy and bouncy on the drive. Monitor pressure going over and down high passes so you don't pop your boat at 12,000'. If you're really worried about the pressure when it's out under the tarp, check it and let some out if you get a ping when you thump it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Even with raft or car covers that breath the rubber will get tight or squishy on air temperature changes. A cover that is white or reflective helps some. Given rubber prices, I’d keep an eye on how firm they are on warmer days and just keep them soft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like I should just let more air out and not be to worried about how sad it looks on the trailer? My old raft looked sad every morning on the water so I'm guessing that's why it hurts so much to see it like that haha. Definitely will look into the raft covers mentioned but I'll have to wait till the wife forgets about how much we just spent on everything else before I drop that bomb.
Thanks for everyone's help this forum helped me float the old boat and I'm sure will keep me going with the new one

1 - 13 of 13 Posts