Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any special care for outboard motor gas tanks when not in use. Never used a motor before and would hate to smell gas from the tank when not in use. Is there a marine gas tank that would fit in a rocket box?

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Have you ever looked into propane outboards? I know they exist, and an extra propane tank is not that hard to rig, plus they are much quieter, and lack the nauseous fumes.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hi,

Mattman has a nice idea, and there even are propane conversion kits for a lot of internal combustion engines. But it's a sort of specialized setup, and IIRC, propane-powered equipment is not as fuel-efficient as when operating on gasoline.

I've used standard three and six gallon tanks for fueling my outboards for years. They ordinarily have a vent screw of some type to account for expansion/contraction, and some small amount of vapor can escape that way. I don't recall it ever being particularly objectionable, because the what comes out dissipates pretty well in the open air. But different folks have different tolerance levels for that.

My tanks would not fit in a 20 mm rocket box, but they probably would go sideways in a 30 mm. rocket box. And of course, they would fit in a typical dry box. But if you are anticipating vapor release, you probably don't want everything in the box smelling like gas.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
483 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts