Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any issues with registering my new trailer in Idaho but I live (most of the time) and work in Colorado? I do have an address in Idaho, so it seems like I could easily register it there. The truck has CO plates.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Idaho pretty easy I think if you give them an Idaho address they would do it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idaho pretty easy I think if you give them an Idaho address they would do it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I'm wondering about the fussy CO authorities. I've heard Colorado residents get stopped for having a trailer that is not registered here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Colorado law requires that you register in Colorado if that is where you live. If your vehicle plate is Colorado and your trailer plate is Idaho, that will probably bring up some questions if you are stopped. Most cops won't write a ticket just for that, but of course there are the rare few who will write people for everything they possibly can. As far as making you more likely to get stopped, simply having an Idaho plate on your trailer doesn't make you more likely to be pulled over. That alone would not justify a traffic stop. Again the plate discrepancy would be the issue. But keep in mind your rear vehicle plate isn't really visible when you are pulling a trailer, so it really doesn't increase your chances that much.
The fine for such a ticket would be pretty minimal. The only way it could turn really crappy for you is if for some reason the cop decided to tow your trailer, which technically they could do. But that is super duper unlikely based solely on the registration issue. You would have to REALLY earn that tow through other violations and behaviors.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Add to that if your driver license is CO they could certainly nail you. The ticket for a vehicle not registered here if you live here is pretty bad I hear, over $1k. Big difference between a car and a trailer but it might be worse than you think it should be.

Why not just register it here?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts