1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
I don't think there is an Ultimate Canyon rig. Every rig is different and everyone likes their own way best. It also depends which rivers you boat on. AIRE for example would catch a lot of silt in Utah rivers, while it's awesome in Idaho/Colorado clean rivers. Hypalon boats are great for rolling, but PVC is stronger and less punctures, but prefers folding or trailoring.

I liked your video for beginners, though I don't think I would recommend buying all big brands for the first boat. Too expensive to make mistakes.

Also.... BAD idea to open shipping boxes at the river. I would recommend putting the boat together in the dry way of your home and once satisfied with everything take it to the river to test it out.

Canyon coolers makes a cooler that sites on the bars, just thought I'd throw it out there since your expert mentioned there are no coolers designed like dry boxes. The Bomber Box 128 Quart [CC128_GRA] - $379.00 : Premium Coolers, Canyon Coolers

Alex

·
Be Like Water
139 Posts
I just got my Granite 128 Bomber box. It is BadAss!!! It sits real nice between the bars, just need two loop straps. I can't wait to fill it up with steaks and beer.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Well-produced video, but "Ultimate Canyon Rig" is kind of a misnomer.

It would be better titled "how to set up your first raft" and pitched to "never-evers".
To me, Ultimate Canyon Rig wouldn't have a single detail about how to measure or set up a frame initially, or how far the cooler should sit off the floor, but should be full of wierd little tips and tricks that an experienced boater may not have thought of, but would think, "why didn't I think of that?!" and "I totally have to do that to my rig!".

VERY good tips about buckle/strap positioning.

Fun on-water view, including scouting of the bigger line. Again, good things for never-evers to see!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm not going to call this an ultimate rig, either. That word involves no compromises, which just isn't possible when ordering everything off the shelf.

I have a preference to run AL boards under my frame rails instead of on top, but I also can't take apart my frame. I also have a preference for the DRE oar towers, because they give you some level of height adjustment, and you can always cut the upright for the macro adjustments.

Give River Ray at Tuff River Stuff a call for a drop bag to go under the table and an everything bag for the loose gear at the back of the boat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not going to call this an ultimate rig, either. That word involves no compromises, which just isn't possible when ordering everything off the shelf.

I have a preference to run AL boards under my frame rails instead of on top, but I also can't take apart my frame. I also have a preference for the DRE oar towers, because they give you some level of height adjustment, and you can always cut the upright for the macro adjustments.

Give River Ray at Tuff River Stuff a call for a drop bag to go under the table and an everything bag for the loose gear at the back of the boat.
The everything bag is one of those things that I thought for years was a waste of money. I would spider-web straps through all the gear and never lost anything. Then....I was given an everything bag....Holy Cow, one of the best things that I own for rigging ever. How the hell did I not get one of these before?????

Also, Aire makes a couch, seems stupid, seems ridiculous, seems decadent. This is one of the greatest purchases that I have made, makes camp seating awesome, and leaving it inflated it is easy to attach to the boat. Also a benefit of running a rapid with someone sitting on a couch on my boat!

·
Registered
760 Posts
I enjoyed this video... thanks.

One comment... without a full load to balance it out you seemed a little nose heavy. Might want to move the frame back a bit if you're running it light for fun to balance that out?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Looks too much like an Nrs assembly video. Nobody assembles their boat for the first time on the banks of a river.

·
Renaissance *******
1,300 Posts
my ultimate grand canyon setup would have a seat with cupholders

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I always thought the ultimate canyon boat needs some sort of way to strap a platform in the rowers compartment that you can sleep on. Kind of like a roll a cot

·
Registered
552 Posts
I always thought the ultimate canyon boat needs some sort of way to strap a platform in the rowers compartment that you can sleep on. Kind of like a roll a cot
We have been calling them dance floors for years. We just lay down a piece of .100 6061 aluminum sheet across the side boxes and woot, woot! Double bed! Only problem is the side boxes must remain in place. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
GC Guide said:
We have been calling them dance floors for years. We just lay down a piece of .100 6061 aluminum sheet across the side boxes and woot, woot! Double bed! Only problem is the side boxes must remain in place. Cheers!
Do you have a pic of this setup? Where do you store the aluminum unless it doubles as a solid floor

I was thinking more like the sewn in webbing on a cat floor that can be tensioned and stowed away easily during the float

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Or, you could use a roll-a-cot and just straddle the rower bay and have the legs rest on the side rails. Works great for two cots.

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Do you have a pic of this setup? Where do you store the aluminum unless it doubles as a solid floor

I was thinking more like the sewn in webbing on a cat floor that can be tensioned and stowed away easily during the float
Avatard, I use the plastic floor in my front bay as a floor for my ammo cans

, at camp I pull out the floor and lay it across my captain boxes

and the 3 bays make my sleeping area for my wife and I. I will take better pics this weekend to demonstrate and to give you some ideas.

What I don't like about that setup, is it's hard to get into captain boxes if I need something from it. I'd need to raise the platform and sleeping bag to get into it. But it's sure makes it nice to sleep on.

I've seen GC Guide's frames and their idea totally makes sense, I am sure it isn't cheap to adopt to an existing frame, but if you are starting out I would have gone that route.

Alex

·
Super Moderator
2,910 Posts
Interesting.

#1 - where is the safety line around the perimeter of the raft?

#2 - no Captains boxes? Not ultimate.

#3 - table resting on side boards instead of frame tubes= bent table after not too many trips.

#4- metal rings on oar keepers are supposed to between the frame and the tube??? This does not make sense. Should be webbing around the frame tube to prevent a pressure or wear spot on the raft. Even with chafing strips, no bueno.

#5 - nice swim dude.

#6 - the everything bag or a big webbing sling in the back is only one solution. Some people like it- I think it is the suck. I have personally seen two cats and a raft flip end over end because they were loaded too heavy in the tail with this type of setup. There may have been other issues with line selection that came into play.

I put four large dry bags at the corners of the frame and small dry bags in the spaces between boxes and side rails ( where your wooden walkways are). If you get good captains boxes you won't need the side rails. If you have more dry bags they can be mounded up over a dry box if necessary. It's usually not for me and I carry quite a load.

I won't sleep on my raft. Done it a couple of times and never could get used to the pulse of water that only comes every 20 or 30 minutes to wake me up. Freakin weird dreams too. I like solid ground for sleeping.

It also closes out one end of your raft to easy egress/access for passengers. They have to scramble over your gear load. I can also have passengers move to the front or back to trim the boat if necessary or add kayaker scum to the stern they can hang out drink my beer, and seal launch off when they see the perfect surf wave.

That is all.

·
Super Moderator
2,910 Posts
Avatard, I use the plastic floor in my front bay as a floor for my ammo cans

, at camp I pull out the floor and lay it across my captain boxes

and the 3 bays make my sleeping area for my wife and I. I will take better pics this weekend to demonstrate and to give you some ideas.

What I don't like about that setup, is it's hard to get into captain boxes if I need something from it. I'd need to raise the platform and sleeping bag to get into it. But it's sure makes it nice to sleep on.

Alex
Love the plastic base for the rockets. That is awesome. Where did you find yours?

Also with the latches on your captains boxes to the inside how do you keep from scraping the hell out of your legs. Made that mistake once. I guess at low water it wouldn't be so bad but at high water I move around a lot. Translation: I have to jump around a lot and high side my shit out of holes.

Even though it is harder to get into ( splashes) I put my latches to the outside.

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
About the latches, my boxes are far enough apart that I don't rub on them during high water or when I stand up. So never really scrapped on them. I might come up with something to cover them in case someone else rows my boat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts