Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to put a cheap rack on my truck, and I already have some rain gutter towers to mount on the topper. What I do not have is long cross bars that are in good shape (the old ones are too short and severely rusted). What diameter are the Yakima cross bars? I bought some pipe at Home Depot that was 3/4" diameter, and they were too small. However, 1" seems too big (although I haven't checked yet). Are they some crazy unavailable size like 7/8" or 13/16"? I want to match the standard size if possible so I can put some bike mounts on the rack, as well as the standard cargo of boats.

Any advice or experience is greatly appreciated. Also, if you have a set of bars in excess of 60" that you want out of the garage, I will pay up to $20 or so. Thanks in advance.

Phillip

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I assume yaks are 3/4 with a thick plastic skin. If you don't need to be too fancy, you can shim it out with thick vinyl tape. I've put yak bike parts on to gas line this way, but I have never mounted the pipes to the feet before. Be super sure you get them on tight. It's no fun for anyone when your rack falls off your rig.

·
Registered
342 Posts
REI sporting goods sells bars separate from the other Yakima components. When I bought my rack, it seems like the bars were around $20. It sounds like your bars are much longer than mine, so they'd probably be a little more money, but maybe not. I hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts