Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up in the mountains this weekend and I saw an animal that looked like a white ferret with a black tip on his tail. He was checking us out while we were chilling in a hot tub in hot sulfur springs. Does anyone know what the name of this animal is? I saw that there is a long tailed weasel on the rocky mountian national park page (brownish). Is is the same guy that turns white in the winter?

I have only seen one other, and that was at vail. I was on the lift and I saw it run across open terrain, and then jump in the air and dive in the snow. Awesome little guys.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
805 Posts
That was most likely the long tailed weasel. There is also a short tailed weasel in the Rockies and both turn white in winter. They are however not ferrets. There is a black footed ferret that lives in the region also but they do not turn white.
Evan

·
Registered
34 Posts
What you saw was an ermine, a variety of weasel. They turn white in the winter and are brown in the summer. Both ferrets and pine martens are considerably larger.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think pine martins a bit bigger than the wee...zil. Are there mink around here? I mean, besides dead and on the back of some rich bitch in (insert name of uppity resort town here).

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,235 Posts
That is a snow cat.
According to the signs they are very dangerous and skiers should beware of them.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The dude abides. Best movie ever. If I'd seen that pic first it'd be my avatar. I'm heading directly home and mixing myself a caucasian. Do I have any milk?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nihilist: We believe in nothing, Lebowski. Nothing. And tomorrow we come back and we cut off your chonson.
The Dude: Excuse me?
Nihilist: I said
Nihilist: "We'll cut off your johnson"!
Nihilist: Just you think about that, Lebowski.
Nihilist: Yeah, your wiggly penis, Lebowski.
Nihilist: Yeah and maybe we stomp on it and squoosh it, Lebowski

Greatest Movie Ever!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
either a short-tailed weasel, or a long-tailed weasel.

You'd have to measure it and/or it's footprints to know for sure. Often called an ermine in winter phase. both winter in white coats with black tail tip.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
The Dude Rules.

Where's my money Labowski? Wher is my money Labowski?

It's Down there some where...let me have another look....

Ermine also rule. Little guys are always hanging out at Snowmass in the Dykes. I had the pleasure of chassing a Fox that was chassing an Ermine this winter.

Game On

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was camping down in the Black Canyon and a couple little buggers like that tried to steal our food. At least from what everyone describes that's what they were, they definitely weren't raccoons. It didn't even phase them when we pointed a flashlight at them. Since it was such a nice night we put our food in the tent and slept outside. I wasn't about to let the thieves have my sticky buns. Good thing that we'd already downed all the alcohol.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,235 Posts
"No, You're Mr. Labowski. I'm the Dude"

or

"Dude, Youre being very undude"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Critters on the Gunnison

The critter you encountered on the Gunnison was more than likely a Ringtail Cat (Bassariscus astutus). They're fairly common at Buttermilk and some of the other lower camps in the Gunnison Gorge.

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
All you amatures are way off. It was almost certainly an amphibious rodent marmot.

"Also lets not forget, let's NOT forget Dude, that keeping wildlife... an amphibious rodent... you know domestic... within the city... That ain't legal either!"

"What are you a fucking park ranger now?"

"No, I'm just trying to offer..."

"Who gives a shit about the fucking marmot???"

"We are sympathizing here Dude."

"Fuck sympathy! I don't need your sympathy man, I need my fucking johnson!"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts