Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a few people with Mac OS X (Tiger) to test out my new Whitewater Widget. It gets realtime flows from USGS and graphs them. It lets you save your own custom list of rivers. In the future it will give you a summary of all your rivers and maybe let you graph historical flows etc.

Let me know if you like it, hate it, if its broke for certain rivers, want more features etc. Once I get the bugs worked out I will advertise it to a wider audience (boatertalk, AW, etc.)

Download it from http://www.bitcastle.net/products.php

sorry windows users it only works on mac. :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very nice :) I like the dashboard feature -- when Tiger came out I wrote a quick grep-like widget that showed the rivers I was interested in from phateye. Nothing as polished as yours, though, which looks very professional.

The one issue I noticed is that the flows aren't always reported correctly. Right now, for Ark at Granite, the widget shows 60.1cfs, 15ft stage, which can't be right. The USGS page shows 205 cfs, 3.6ft stage. Attaching a screenshot. Let me know if you have an update or if you'd like me to try something specific.

tom.

PS. Ah, I think I see the issue. USGS has site ID 07087050, and you're using 07086000, which seems wrong. The 60.1 is the temp of water in F.

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm yes - you have to choose ark 'below granite' not 'at' granitte to match up with the correct site on usgs - i am trying to figure out how to eliminate bogus sites from the list (the site data comes from usgs as well). maybe i need to call them.

edit: it looks like the tabular data contains additional sites not in the html table format for the exact same criteria - I contacted USGS about how to workaround that and thanks for the feedback

1 - 4 of 4 Posts