Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of us are headed down from Canada end of February for 8 or 9 days to run some PNW whitewater with our cats because honestly we'll be really f'n sick of the cold up here by then. We are tentatively looking at running the Wind, possibly Crooked then down to the Illinois and Rogue. We have a couple of others as plan B's. We realize some or all of these are rain dependant to a degree. Some questions i'm looking for info on are: Are we likely to find any shuttles private or commercial (especially for the Illinois and Rogue)? How long of a drive from the Rogue takeout to the Illinois put-in? Are there any viable camping locations at this time of year for the mentioned locations/rivers? Looking forward to any info that may help. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Two of us are headed down from Canada end of February for 8 or 9 days to run some PNW whitewater with our cats because honestly we'll be really f'n sick of the cold up here by then. We are tentatively looking at running the Wind, possibly Crooked then down to the Illinois and Rogue. We have a couple of others as plan B's. We realize some or all of these are rain dependant to a degree. Some questions i'm looking for info on are: Are we likely to find any shuttles private or commercial (especially for the Illinois and Rogue)? How long of a drive from the Rogue takeout to the Illinois put-in? Are there any viable camping locations at this time of year for the mentioned locations/rivers? Looking forward to any info that may help. Thanks.
Once the normal Rogue shuttle route from Galice to Foster Bar closes for the winter you're looking at a long and expensive solution (down 199 into CA and back up 101). There is camping though on 199 along the Smith!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Like Gravelroad said, Bear Camp is closed for the winter, and the take out for the lower Rogue, and Illinois are only a few miles apart. The Rogue is always runnable, the Illinois is extremely fickle. The Klamath is a viable option. I still need to check-off winter months Deschutes trips. I haven't looked at the pool elevation of Prineville Reservoir lately, but it was waaaaaay down last fall. It's gotta be pretty full before the Crooked will be boatable.
The Smith is mostly winter boating. Even the Owyhee, if the stars align.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate your responses. Thank you. Willing to entertain other options anybody may be happy to throw out.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Gorge is usually a good bet Wind, Hood, White Salmon, Clackamas etc all pretty close together and good pubs. Also Skykomish, Sauk, Green in WA. Cispus Tilton in S WA. What part of Canada r u from we've been missing the Thompson, Kick Horse, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Once the normal Rogue shuttle route from Galice to Foster Bar closes for the winter you're looking at a long and expensive solution (down 199 into CA and back up 101). There is camping though on 199 along the Smith!
just looking at that route. the distance is further but the drive time is the same? i understand the northern route for 75mi is closed in the winter but is it accurate that it would take 3hr 50min either way?

Map World Parallel

·
My name isn't Will
400 Posts
Bear Camp - the "normal" way to get back from Foster to Galice, usually takes us about 90 minutes or so. Shuttle company charges $135

After that closes, the Eden Valley may still be open. That adds 45 to 90 minutes more. Shuttle company charges $189

When Eden Valley closes, you have to go the southern/coastal route. That takes several hours. Shuttle company charges $250

If you don't need to go back to Galice, it just means the shuttle is more expensive (leave a nicer tip, and fuel cost will be more). If the Eden Valley route is closed, the road to Powers is probably also closed, so no matter what you have to go out to Gold Beach. Depending where you're going from there, you really don't NEED to go back to Galice.

I would never drive out to Powers and then back down to Galice. If heading back to the Willamette Valley, it makes sense to go out to Powers and then up to Winston. The "normal" Bear Camp shuttle doesn't show up on your map.

Reactions: gravelroad

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bear Camp - the "normal" way to get back from Foster to Galice, usually takes us about 90 minutes or so. Shuttle company charges $135

After that closes, the Eden Valley may still be open. That adds 45 to 90 minutes more. Shuttle company charges $189

When Eden Valley closes, you have to go the southern/coastal route. That takes several hours. Shuttle company charges $250

If you don't need to go back to Galice, it just means the shuttle is more expensive (leave a nicer tip, and fuel cost will be more). If the Eden Valley route is closed, the road to Powers is probably also closed, so no matter what you have to go out to Gold Beach. Depending where you're going from there, you really don't NEED to go back to Galice.

I would never drive out to Powers and then back down to Galice. If heading back to the Willamette Valley, it makes sense to go out to Powers and then up to Winston. The "normal" Bear Camp shuttle doesn't show up on your map.
great intel! thank you. any recommendation on shuttle companies we should use?

·
My name isn't Will
400 Posts
The company I used to use screwed up bad one time, so I switched to Whitewater Cowboys (Orange Torpedoes). I've never had any issues with them... yet.

During summer, when Bear Camp is open, and if you have the right sized group, Galice used to offer a service where they would show up with a van and trailer (either flat bed or cage depending on your group's needs) and haul everyone back to Galice. If there's people coming from lots of places, it's cheaper than shuttling all the cars, and nobody's car has to go over Bear Camp... twice. I haven't done that in years because we tend to have smaller groups, and we just head out to Powers except a couple that usually goes down to Gold Beach to visit family.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The company I used to use screwed up bad one time, so I switched to Whitewater Cowboys (Orange Torpedoes). I've never had any issues with them... yet.

During summer, when Bear Camp is open, and if you have the right sized group, Galice used to offer a service where they would show up with a van and trailer (either flat bed or cage depending on your group's needs) and haul everyone back to Galice. If there's people coming from lots of places, it's cheaper than shuttling all the cars, and nobody's car has to go over Bear Camp... twice. I haven't done that in years because we tend to have smaller groups, and we just head out to Powers except a couple that usually goes down to Gold Beach to visit family.
I'm not 100% sure how offical or set in stone it is but Galice Resort will not be open for any shuttle or rental services in 2022, at least that was what various outfitters were recently told. There are a lot of rumors and speculation about whats been happening, but at the very least it appears that they will not be rebuilding anytime in the near future.

This leaves BLT (vehicles only), Morrisons, and Orange Torpedo for the upcoming season. The latter two can run shuttle vans in season, though I imagine they will be quite busy filling the gap that Galice is leaving behind. BLT and OTT are open in the winter and can also service the Illinois. The good folks in Gasquet (Dave, Brad, etc) that run shuttles for the North Fork of the Smith will also run Illinois shuttles when asked, which is an option for people coming up from California.

The OP should definitely stop by the Smith drainage if they are passing through the region on
Feb 18th-20th. BoatSmith is a special kind of gathering, and the Smith is one of if not the prettiest river system on the west coast, on-top of having world class whitewater.

·
Registered
16 Posts
great intel! thank you. any recommendation on shuttle companies we should use?
BLT is your best and the only option if you go on short notice (which is often the case with erratic winter storm flows). OTT/WWCB does run shuttles in Feb but usually only on the weekends and they usually need advanced notice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
any suggestions on camping spots that are good late february in the hood river area while we paddle the wind, white salmon, hood river....

·
Registered
30 Posts
any suggestions on camping spots that are good late february in the hood river area while we paddle the wind, white salmon, hood river....
If you wanted to run the Deschutes as well Maupin is an hour from Hood River and the BLM sites are open year round. Harpham Flats to Sandy Beach is a fun 10 mile run.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also suggest joining PNWWhitewater and PDX kayaker on Facebook. February weather is wildly unpredictable (emphatically more so in the Gorge) and the more info you have the better. And, as they say, be ready to pivot (have other options).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts