Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was researching our upcoming John Day and/or Grand Ronde trip and stumble accross something new to me. Life Jacket law for Class III and above. First, I really wish people would quit trying to regulate every aspect of our lives, it's really getting old... I'm all for safety but I'd rather not swelter in a life jacket for the entire float if not governed to do so by legislative jack wagons.

Second and most importantly, what does this mean exactly? does it mean that Jackets need to be worn when within a class III rapid and above (thats how I read it) or does it mean they need to be worn on a river (or stretch) that includes said rapids (as many on the interweb seem to profess)?

Of course this begs the question, when is one within such a rapid, stretch or river (simplest to answer for sure)...

Any ideas? I'm sure they'll be plenty!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. I read it the same as you, has to be worn while in the rapid. I would be surprised if someone were ticketed for not having a life jacket on but maybe.
Another law I have wonder about;

All boats 16 feet or longer, must carry one Type I, II, III or V for each person on board and one Type IV throwable in each boat. (*Note - canoes and kayaks are exempt from carrying Type IV throwable flotation device.)

Does this mean a 16+ raft or cat needs a cushion to throw?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sounds like a call to the BLM is in order. If you call please report back. The way I understand it when the law was first enacted, you are required to wear a PFD the entire time you are on a stretch that is class III or higher.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have seen cops ticket tubers on the Spokane River in Washington for not wearing pfds in knee deep water. But I don't think I have ever seen any enforcement of any regulations on the ronde. A good chunk of the ronde is in Washington and if I'm correct you need a pfd no matter what.

·
Registered
166 Posts
First, I really wish people would quit trying to regulate every aspect of our lives, it's really getting old... I'm all for safety but I'd rather not swelter in a life jacket for the entire float if not governed to do so by legislative jack wagons.
Absolutely!

The LE that I've come across on the Ronde checked for other things, but not life jackets as I recall. I know for a fact that we have run across LE on the Ronde in 2012 and 2013 with no one wearing PFDs. We had them on the boat but not on our persons. I know that doesn't answer the question directly, but it is something.

If you're too hot and surrounded by water you are dumb.
That is a pretty dumb generalization.

·
Registered
811 Posts
So I was researching our upcoming John Day and/or Grand Ronde trip and stumble across something new to me. Life Jacket law for Class III and above...........what does this mean exactly?
Oregon law requires boater to wear a PFD while traversing class III and higher rapids. They do not have to be worn at other times on the water. Not a big deal on the John Day or Grande Ronde. There is one class III rapid (Clarno) on the John Day between Service Creek and Cottonwood, the most commonly floated sections. There are supposedly 2 or 3 class III rapids on the Grande Ronde, but i have yet to find them.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I would consider the narrows above 7k to be class 3. But that's all I got.
I believe you are correct. I don't boat the Grande Ronde often, although I am going in two weeks. My only trip below Troy was 30 years ago so my memory of that area is a little fuzzy. That and I may have been distracted going through the narrows by the two nekid women riding in my boat.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
483 Posts
I Understand your question but my question is why do people and fisherman in particular, think they float better in class two? Our PFD Rule is really simple, if your on a boat not attached to the shore you need a wear your PFD properly fitted and secured. If your Hot, its more likely you don't have on the proper layers. You'll stay a lot cooler with a long sleeve white cotton shirt and you keep wet.

I am not a big fan of more government regulations but life jacket regulations that are based on the class of water are akin to seat belt laws that only apply to minors under 18.

I just don't ever want to have a conversation with LEO or even worse with someones family member about someone on my trip dying on the river without wearing the proper safety equipment.

·
Jared
733 Posts
I always wear mine.

I always wear mine around the water. I don't give a damn about the laws, I want to be ready for anything. More people drown in Class II water than anything else, and part of that is we relax a little too much. Even when I go to a lake to swim, I at least have my WW jacket close at hand just in case something happens to someone.
I've seen kids fall in, and I've fallen out of the raft/ kayak on no-name rapids and gotten my ass kicked by shallow, fast moving water more than the big rapids that actually scare me. I require my passengers to wear them on my boat. You guys can do what you want, but I'm keeping mine on.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I do not feel as though I need a life jacket on and properly fitted or any of that crap just because I am on a river. Give me a break. Go float the Missouri or Lower Madison. If I am doing a fishing trip and not with kids I don't wear a PDF. I wouldn't even have them in my boat on many floats if it wasn't law. There are times I will always wear one i.e. Class III rapids or at times on unknown water but otherwise no. With kids it a whole different story.

Jim

·
Registered
506 Posts
I do think the attitude towards wearing PDFs is different in Montana where fishing floats make up the majority of river use. You almost see no one wearing them. This of course changes on white water floats. I never knock anyone for wearing them and definitely require passengers to wear them through a few spots on the Yellowstone, Big Hole, Boulder , and Bear trap section of the Madison. I would also think it is a good example to wear one whenever you are with kids, as they always must.

Jim

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I Understand your question but my question is why do people and fisherman in particular, think they float better in class two? Our PFD Rule is really simple, if your on a boat not attached to the shore you need a wear your PFD properly fitted and secured. If your Hot, its more likely you don't have on the proper layers. You'll stay a lot cooler with a long sleeve white cotton shirt and you keep wet.

I am not a big fan of more government regulations but life jacket regulations that are based on the class of water are akin to seat belt laws that only apply to minors under 18.

I just don't ever want to have a conversation with LEO or even worse with someones family member about someone on my trip dying on the river without wearing the proper safety equipment.
Feel free to protect yourself as you see fit.

What does the law actually say? Do I need to wear one on the whole fucking river our just in the rapids? I'll make my own mind up where ever else I'll wear one. Thanks For your thoughts on jackets.

This thread deteriorated before I ever got a clear opinion on the letter of the law...

I always wear mine around the water. I don't give a damn about the laws, I want to be ready for anything. More people drown in Class II water than anything else, and part of that is we relax a little too much. Even when I go to a lake to swim, I at least have my WW jacket close at hand just in case something happens to someone.
I've seen kids fall in, and I've fallen out of the raft/ kayak on no-name rapids and gotten my ass kicked by shallow, fast moving water more than the big rapids that actually scare me. I require my passengers to wear them on my boat. You guys can do what you want, but I'm keeping mine on.

Though I did get plenty off opinions on the intent.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I read that, just isn't clear exactly when they need to be worn in the rapid or on the stretch.

I was expecting more discussion on when the rapid starts however

Oregon State Marine Board Life Jackets it says on class III and above rapids. Now lets argue about whether a rapid is class III or class II.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 20 of 64 Posts