Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your guys opinions on Jacks Plastic catarafts? I found one online for $300 that looks to be in good shape so swinging by on Tuesday to possibly pick it up. Seller has little info on the boat other than it hold air and that it spent its life on a lake....am I about to score big time? Thanks guys! Also what size does it look like to you? Seller says its 11.5 but I'm thinking its bigger than that. Here's a picture
Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just depends on tube condition and how much $ you need to put into repair. That frame is terrifying. I’ve got nothing but good to say about JPW tubes in general. Except the PVC does not roll/ store well especially in the cold.

·
Renaissance *******
1,346 Posts
If you dont buy it I will

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have JPW cutthroat tubes for years and for me they have been bomber.
Know quite a few rafting buds with the bigger JPW tubes and never heard anything bad from them

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 16' Big Daddy. Bought it in 1990. Been down countless rivers and has never let me down. I also have a 12' and 10' JPW cats that I use on smaller rivers. Yes they are all tough as nails. If you have tube issues on your new cat you can always send it to JPW and they will replace all of your D-Rings and fix any issue for a minimal charge and you are left w/a new cat........

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
For 300 bucks you can't go wrong. Redo the frame (where are the oarstands LOL), that thing is an entrapment / laceration hazard, and you've got a cheap starter boat.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
All day long. I'd buy it and I'm not even a cat-boater.

Buy a pair of new full-length (~6-7') longitudinal bars and you've got plenty of surplus there for your crossbars.
The crossbar lopro fittings should land on the long bars, not the other way around like the pic.

The webbing is an entrapment hazard, too, but plenty of material there to work with for other purposes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good stuff. It seems that the consensus is that you guys are all going to buy this thing if I don't. I'm definitely going to switch out the frame but it looks like there are enough bars for me to make a frame for my trib 9.5 which is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Going to be a fun project this summer....see you guys on the alberton gorge!

·
Registered
AIRE 156R
157 Posts
Buy it and buy some NRS crossbars and take all of those lopros off. You can make a pretty good frame with the amount of those fittings. Just put it this way, I counted 14 fittings. Those are the older ones but the new ones sell for $30 each. That alone is worth it.

·
Renaissance *******
1,346 Posts
see you guys on the alberton gorge!
Lets go. I would have been there last weekend but I couldnt get anybody to go with me. Had to do Petty to Rest Stop solo instead.

Reactions: radoskier

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a Daddy cat in 1990 until 2008. A though a nails boat 16 ft and 24 inch tubes I don’t know how many miles on it when I sold it. Numerous trios in NC on the Nolichucky natahela and French Broad Rivers. It was my guide boat for smallmouth fly fishing and whitewater you can not hurt these boats and JPW service is great.
I sold the boat a year after moving to WY. Buy the boat it is worth the risk and price

·
Registered
5 Posts
What are your guys opinions on Jacks Plastic catarafts? I found one online for $300 that looks to be in good shape so swinging by on Tuesday to possibly pick it up. Seller has little info on the boat other than it hold air and that it spent its life on a lake....am I about to score big time? Thanks guys! Also what size does it look like to you? Seller says its 11.5 but I'm thinking its bigger than that. Here's a picture
Thanks! View attachment 63385
Do it ASAP
Killer price
Patch it if it leaks.
I have a 1992 Jacks in fine shape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first boat was a very, very well used '89 Big Daddy. That old gal has seen miles of water and western CO sun. JPW produces the toughest tubes around in my opinion. Let us know how those treat you!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
You got a great deal, at worst you like it, run it for a couple years and sell it for three times what you paid for it. At best, it’s part of your permanent Fleet

1 - 20 of 28 Posts