Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run the middlefork a lot of times. I just got off a trip where we put on at boundary at 2.2ish.

I'm curious what everyone thinks the most difficult level is they've run as well as the easiest flow they've done.

In my opinion, somewhere in the mid 3's is the easiest. This last trip was the lowest I've run it (2.2) and the first day and a half from Boundary was technical...nothing scary, but a lot of work dodging rocks.

I think the most challenging trip I've done was 5.5. It's very pushy and meaty. I've done trips over 6' and over 7' and it's VERY pushy, but a lot of the meat gets washed out which helps mitigate potential negative consequences.

I've never seen velvet bigger than it was at 5.5.

what do you guys think for easiest and most difficult levels on the MF?

·
Super Moderator
2,872 Posts
Agree on mid 3s easy, for me the most challenging is 1.4 (about 400 cfs) I have done it lower but we flew in so not a fair comparison. While 1.4 is the most difficult, I would have to say 8 feet is the scariest. Even though many things are washed out ( where the hell did Tappan Falls go?), the pucker factor is the highest. While they are some spectacular hits in the 5.5 range, I don't of it as particularly hard. Velvet is huge, Rubber is huge. There are some big waves in a few places, but a lot of it is just big meaty wave trains.....my four cents.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The "fabulous 4s" is what I would say is the sweet spot. Low 2s gets dodgey, yet doable, uptop. And I agree, 5.5+ things start to either get big or washed out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I ran it at 1.8 and the first 10 miles was very busy dodging FU rocks. After that it was an awesome level.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've only run it four times, but I love the fabulous 4s. Honestly, on the MIddle Fork, anything approaching 6 is probably above my comfort level, unless I'm with a very experienced group. I launch in about 10 days and I'm guessing it will be about 1.8. I've never done a low-water trip up there so am interested to see how tough it really is.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Its interesting for sure. We just got off and launched from Indian Creek due to lack of time and even there it was a pain in a raft, can only imagine the top. So many rapids change becoming easier or harder it can be hard to put an exact pin on what is harder. But mid 3s seem to be the accepted sweet spot. First time for me, but did main also and miss read the guide book( and it was freaking hot) and did not scout Vinegar which apparently is nothing at high water but was terrifying right now. Ski Jump is a 1 right now, and a horrific 4 at high water.....I saw rapids that I wondered if we had even run the right rapid because they did not exist, or a 2 was more like a 3 or a 3 more like a 4. I lost count of how many of those I ran. But its interesting to look back up stream and picture what would happen at a different water level. Do not get stuck thinking everything is harder at high water or vice versa...something will bite you for that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have run it from 5.8' to 1.78'.

3.5' - 4' is my absolute favorite. I have run low water (1.78') with a light boat with just me and little gear and had a blast. I have run it in low water (1.9') with a heavy boat and 4 people on it and vowed to NEVER EVER do that again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts