Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm planning a trip out west (from Philly) to Colorado for the weekend with a group of friends and would appreciate any advice. We have some experience doing II (yeah nothing crazy) around the PA area and want to plan a much more adventurous trip. I found AVA colorado rafting and would like to know what anyone thinks about booking the Gauntlet on the Arkansas river 5/29. We want a adventure but dont want to kill ourself s. Were all in our mid 20's, and pretty good shape. Will we be completely overwhelmed in doing a 5 hour trip IV-V down the river? How is AVA as a white water rafting company?

Much Thanks,
Rex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Xena, we want the adrenaline rush, and like to think of ourselves in good shape...only 5% doubt in keeping safety in mind.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Statistically your more likely to get hurt driving to the airport then getting hurt on ANY guided trip. Being in your 20's and in shape, assuming you are not drinking and you are wearing a PFD, also means you are statistically not in the group of people that die on the river. The commercials take good care of their customers and realistically the only thing you should be worried about is a sunburn. So if I where you I would suggest you find the MOST exciting trip you can find and not worry about the dangers.

That being said... Shit happens.

Have fun!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Rex,

After you've done the rafting trip, you should also look into doing Duckie trips with Rocky Mtn Outdoor Center (www.RMOC.com) and enjoy things on a more individual and enjoyable level here on our many great sections of river. The Ark offers quite a varity and RMOC is an instruction and guide center that can truly enable your vacation experience. Being in your 20s, I think you should not pass it up.

Enjoy!

Ken

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the feedback, this is great stuff! I wish I had more time to plan then a weekend, and am sure i'll be back.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm planning a trip out west (from Philly) to Colorado for the weekend with a group of friends and would appreciate any advice. We have some experience doing II (yeah nothing crazy) around the PA area and want to plan a much more adventurous trip. I found AVA colorado rafting and would like to know what anyone thinks about booking the Gauntlet on the Arkansas river 5/29. We want a adventure but dont want to kill ourself s. Were all in our mid 20's, and pretty good shape. Will we be completely overwhelmed in doing a 5 hour trip IV-V down the river? How is AVA as a white water rafting company?

Much Thanks,
Rex
Been boating on the Arkansas for 20+ years and I have no idea where the "Gauntlet" is. Do I need a new map???

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Been boating on the Arkansas for 20+ years and I have no idea where the "Gauntlet" is. Do I need a new map???
Sweet, I've been waiting forever to use this:
Let me google that for you

I agree, you guys will probably be fine. But, full disclosure is that Pine Creek that time of year could be cranking. If it's too high they won't run it, but even at levels they run it, it has the potential for a serious swim. I think a couple years ago there were a few commercial raft deaths on that section. Usually it involves older people, but can't remember all the specifics. If it were me, I would want to make sure I was comfortable around water and a reasonably good swimmer though.

In terms of the run being too long for you handle I wouldn't worry about it. The most serious section is in the first 1/2 of the stretch. Most likely you will have a great time.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

I was wondering the same thing, but according to their site it is a Pine Creek/Numbers combo. Might have to use their terminology from now on when I run that, sounds much cooler :)

*******Ahhh googled too slow and KSC beat me to it

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, but according to their site it is a Pine Creek/Numbers combo. Might have to use their terminology from now on when I run that, sounds much cooler :)

*******Ahhh googled too slow and KSC beat me to it

Ok, so I've run it many times and just didn't know the name.

And KSC, thanks, I always wondered what that Google thing was all about:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Ha ha! "Let me google that for you" is f'ing hilarious. Quintessential smart-ass internet skills at their finest!

Rafting trip will be lots of fun for you guys. I'll second the recommendation to do an inflatable kayak trip. Adventurous folks in good shape will have an absolute blast in duckies. Its more of an adventure than rafting because you are master of your own ship. Whether your ship is the titanic or a battleship is up to you.

Bring some cool weather gear and some layers. The water is cold, and you will want layers for warmth. You can also get cooler weather rolling through end of may as well.

The arkansas valley is a good place to go for this type of trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha ha! "Let me google that for you" is f'ing hilarious. Quintessential smart-ass internet skills at their finest!

Rafting trip will be lots of fun for you guys. I'll second the recommendation to do an inflatable kayak trip. Adventurous folks in good shape will have an absolute blast in duckies. Its more of an adventure than rafting because you are master of your own ship. Whether your ship is the titanic or a battleship is up to you.

Bring some cool weather gear and some layers. The water is cold, and you will want layers for warmth. You can also get cooler weather rolling through end of may as well.

The arkansas valley is a good place to go for this type of trip.
Are you being sarcastic or is this legit?

Aspen Inflatable Kayaks: Roaring Fork River Duckies

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bring your fishing pole if your planning on doing that trip. The Roaring fork really doesn't sound like what you guys are into. But if your looking for a shorter class 3 or 4 towards the Glenwood area look at doing a trip through the Gleenwood canyon on the colorado. Shoshone or something?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'm serious. For novices who want to get some whitewater thrills, duckies are hard to beat. To me being a passenger on a raft is like riding on a bus, and paddling an inflatable kayak is like driving your own sportscar. I looked at the RMOC link Ken posted... you want the browns canyon guided trip. Its fun class III with lots of rapids. The aspen one sounds like its a milder ride.

Duckies are easy to learn... 10-15 minutes of instruction and you can hit the river. If you flip or fall out, you can easily flip the boat over by yourself and climb back in.

I'd recommend a raft trip on pine creek numbers the first day and a ducky trip on browns the next day if you have two days. If you only have one, do the ducky trip. Browns canyon trip is good for duckies. I've taken people down browns in duckies my self.

Before I started kayaking I did a couple of raft trips, and then did a ducky on class III and at the time it was the most action packed thing I had done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Agreed on the rafting/duckie combo

Totally agree with Deepsouth, the duckie experience is a great follow up to rafting Pine Creek / Numbers. The rapids aren't as big but the challenge of flying solo in your duckie will give you a whole different experience and perspective of the river.

Rex99x- what part of Philly you from, I grew up in Kensington/Fishtown. :grin:

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I'm a 10 year boater and ducky all the time. It's really fun, and you don't have to squeeze into a plastic coffin. You can pretty much run anything a raft can run and much of what hard boats can do. A ducky trip on Brown's Canyon on the Arkansas is a great way to experience the river, just make sure you're with a guided trip.

As for the raft trip, don't go! Nobody has ever survived the gauntlet!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I hadn't run the gaunlet in many years. They used to call me whitewater back then, old guiding nickname. I ran it this last year when my class three multiday was held hostage by Kevin Bacon and the dude from will ferrel's movies. Shit is crazy in there.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Gauntlet....kick ass arcade game....I never felt safe in there unless I was with the wizard.

Seriously though.....DO IT, take a guided trip down the best the Ark has to offer. You guys are young and prob. in decent shape....the peeps that die every year are those that maybe shouldn't be on the river (heart probs, weight issues, etc....). Not saying they're the only ones........

The ducky idea is GREAT...you'll friggen love it....probably more than the rafting. The class III in Brown's canyon will seem HUGE and you're the captain of your own vessel (with a guide to show you the lines).

I threw my 17 yo. cousin from Chicago in a ducky down Browns at relatively high water and he had the time of his life!!! I took him through "the Gauntlet" prior too...but the ducky was his highlight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts