Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Itching to get on the water for a float/fishing expedition. Is the Big C open anywhere on calm water from State Bridge to Moab? Gauges show runnable/low runnable on many sections but hoping some local Buzzards can provide eyes-on intelligence. Thanks

·
fat guy in a little boat
412 Posts
Is there a reason the run from New Castle to Ruby/Horsethief has no information?
that's over a hundred miles and there's only flat water and a couple good sized dams.
i'm sure the palisades dam is runnable when theres water, but not the cameo dam.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hard Sayin Not Knowing

A couple friends and I ran the Nothing stretch (Cisco to Dewey) a few weeks ago while blasting and casting;). We were in an 14' aluminum v hulled boat powered by my sweet little 2.5 Mariner.:cool: We only had to drag it over 2 ice dams. The second one was about 300 yards long, Ean fell through the ice in the middle of the river only once. :eek:I think he got a little water in his muck boot. :cry:

·
Registered
511 Posts
The stretch between New Castle and Cameo isn't flat water. It is mostly class II with a few III's at high water but keeps a good clip going the whole way. In addition to the two dams mentioned there frequently are significant ice dams in Debeque canyon. I didn't see them yet this year but they will ruin your day if they are there. Best to stop before DeBeque canyon

·
Super Moderator
4,371 Posts
Ice in Debeque Canyon => ice on Ruby and Westwater

I've floated Two Rivers to South Canyon in mid-winter when everything else was iced or highly suspect. The road down to the river at South Canyon may be snowed in but you can pull the raft up with a rope or two (clip to your chicken line, not just that front D-ring).

In addition to the two dams mentioned there frequently are significant ice dams in Debeque canyon. I didn't see them yet this year but they will ruin your day if they are there. Best to stop before DeBeque canyon
A guideline I've heard (that I cannot vouch for but seems reasonable) is that if there's. It'll dawn on you how they could ruin your day if you just think about getting dragged under the ice for a few hundred yards.

Have fun and be safe,

-AH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Newcastle to Silt is my winter fishing float and open now. Glenn to grizzly is another good fishing float. If you look at any of the local fly shop floats this time of year they are all in this area.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the updates gang. I gotta get over the hump again and get back on the water soon. Might try to get the the family to earn their ice wings with an overnight on Ruby/Horsethief.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts