Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Earning Our Turns on the Raven's Fork

All the photos are from the Raven's Fork by Raphael Thiebaut.

After the Moose Fest we didn't have a solid plan. We were thinking of going to the coast and doing some ocean surfing only problem was that there were no waves. None of the other rivers in New York or the surrounding area were running so that wasn't gonna work. We were thinking the New river in West Virginia but it was at an uninspiring level. The Gauley wasn't running so the options were getting thin. We finally decided to head down to Washington D.C. and mess around on the Potomac maybe run some new lines on Great Falls but as we were pulling into D.C. we got the news that North Carolina might have some rain on the way so the loose plan that we had started to change yet again. We stopped off at the Potomac to paddle a little bit, grab some dinner, and wait for rush hour traffic to die down then we started driving south.
Shane

Here is the link to the rest of the story.
Shaneslogic, Click It.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Jeebus Man! If the Ravens Fork isn't the sickest fall creek run I've ever seen I don know what is. I think I would fly out from CO for just one day to NC if I knew I was going to get on that one and then turn right around and fly home. Holy Mackerel! I waaannnnnt it sooooooooo bad. Maybe next spring. Please next spring.

Very nice post Shane. Some of the best footage that I've seen of that run. Really gives you a feel for how steep and back to back it must be. Just looks so amazing, especially with the fall colors. Golden leaves floating around with you in the eddys above monster horizon line after monster horizon line. Whoa. Double whoa.

Evan

·
Registered
709 Posts
yo Evan.. That run is the shit. Soooo many good rapids and Soooo much gradient. Some awesome boofs too! Kicks BSF's ass for sure! It's the real deal from the put-in to the take-out

Scott

·
Registered
846 Posts
That is great footage Shane! The Raven Fork looks incredible. Do you guys that have boated it or boat it when it runs think it is harder than anything in CO? I know it is a different style of boating, but it seems to have a rep as pretty much the hardest regularly run creek in the SE. What do you think? Sorry for the boatertalkesque question, but inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have limited experience out here but I would say that it is more demanding than Crystal (portaged the inner that day) and Big South (I have ran all the drops but Cool World). On the Raven, it's quite a walk to even get to the put-in and it just drops off from there. There are so many quality rapids that are long and scouted from the top. There are wall checks, big holes, and must-make eddies to portage drops.

It's just a really, really long demanding day. BSF has 4-6 rapids... Raven seems to have about 15.

Scott

PS. I've only been on the Raven around 18 inches.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks for the info, Scott. My question was a bit vague because stuff like Yule may not compare because of the pucker factor. But I would definitely be interested on hearing more comparisons of Raven w/ Inner Crystal, Cross, d-go stuff like Valle. In any case, it sounds like a very committing day out on Raven, hopefully I will get a chance to see it sometime. Cheers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is fantastic and I haven't run anything harder in Colorado but I am sure there are some awesome tough runs in Colorado. My point of BSF is that it is an amazing place just as the Raven's is. For out and out paddling of course the Raven's is incredible. The bang for the buck factor is very very high. There are very few rivers in the world that are that steep continuous, yet boatable, with very few protages.

Like I said in the blog at 8" on Ravens its a much mellower thing to deal with. There is time between the drops and not near the push. As it gets above 12" it starts to take on a more serious feel.

Well worth the trip up the hill.
Shane

·
Registered
805 Posts
Don't talk that way about the BSF Peaches. Seems like an entirely different style run and just because something is harder does not make it better (well maybe sometimes, but only under certain circumstances). Regardless, it does look STEEP and beautiful. I guess I'll have to run it before I can make my call, and I do want to run it, as noted before, badly. Wilderness runs are where it is at for me where ever you're paddling. And since we arn't really paddling much in CO right now... The Ravens Fork looks real darn good to say the least.

Lucky.

Shane can you check your PMs.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yo Dot'com.. You would be in love with Ravens... As Pat says.. it's the most incredible place he has been.

SCott

·
Registered
19 Posts
whoa, whoa, whoa GA the two are totally different runs. And running most the drops on BSF at really low levels and portaging the inner doesn't really qualify as a fair comparison as the runs haven't been done until they've been done.

man i'm jones'en. anyone want to rally to the SE in early november?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Umm ok.. I was on the Crystal at good water.. I walked the gorge b/c it was my 3rd day in Colorado from the East and dizzy from the altitude. As for BSF, I've run the goods at decent water levels. I think I can make a fair comparisson. Yes BSF has some hard drops.. But so do Raven and I had more fun on Raven since there are more drops that are complicated and technical. Plus, my guess is there 3x as much gradient on that run than the steepest section of BSF and Crystal.

Also, saying the runs havn't been run until they are run is ludacris. There are drops on the Raven that are never run. Hail Mary, Mangler, Big Boy, Atomic, and one more that I can't remember are rarely run by groups that go in there. I think MAry and Mangler have been run about 3x and were not that nice looking from what I have heard about them. So, I guess that doesn't count as well..

Oh well,

Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Runs have been done when the set of rapids that define that particular section have been done or run. Yes, there will always be drops that have been run by a select few that are not run by most but those drops will typically not define that section.

Case in point, log choke falls on the upper tye. Just because tao ran this doesn't mean everyone runs it now or it has become part of the upper tye section.

It like when someone runs the lower half of supermax, its still fun but its not supermax. I believe they call it tampax...

·
Registered
709 Posts
And when a person runs every rapid (minus Cool World) on BSF and hikes in from estes park as well that's not considered a good enough understanding of the run and it's difficulty? Why are you so pissed that Raven is more fun and bigger than BSF?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
GObacktoGA, where the female waist lines match the egos. Oh snap! Sorry, that was a little much (more of a boatertalk than mtnbuzz post), but I just couldn't hold it back. I think what people are saying is that if you're new to an area it's probably not wise to start by insulting local legends and revered classic runs if you don't want to paddle solo every day.

Yes the Raven's Fork is steeper and harder, but it's 2.7 miles long. To say that it kicks Big South's ass is a little much. The big south is undeniably one of the coolest experiences into the wilderness available. Also, I'm rather new to the game too, but I've never heard anyone refer to it as the Big South Fork (BSF?).

·
Registered
4 Posts
YO SCOTT

Why are you always walking around with a hard on and wanting to see who has the biggest dick? I've seen you act like this for years on Boaterblab. What is this, a fucking competition? You're so "in". WHATEVER. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Get over yourself college boy.

signed,

a Georgia boy who's old enough to be yo daddy

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm not seeing an ego trip or a dick measuring contest here. All I'm seeing is comparisson between two runs that are in fact very unique and wonderful. If you knew me, you would know that I love Big South and that I want to go run it whenever I get the opportunity. You would also know that I'm in no means a person that gets on a river and lets their ego take over. I walk whatever I want to walk and I don't push people to run stuff either. I have wonderful days on class 3 just as I do class 5.

The only point that I was making is that I've seen the two and I thought Raven was more intense and special. It's the only river that has made me scream out loud after running a drop. It's unlike anything I had experienced before (when I ran it) and unlike anything I have found out here.

And that's after seeing Big South from Estes. We hiked in this spring from up top and had a fantastic trip. If I could do an overnighter on Big South or a trip to Raven I would do Big South. It's a very special and scenic place with lots of miles of really fun stuff.

I suppose I need to spend more than a summer on it before I judge it.

Scott

·
Registered
273 Posts
I can't believe I've missed this. . .

Where is the legend Todd Gillman when you need him?

this takes me back to yesteryear, times of yore.

I'll pay $20.00 if somebody can tell me the real identitiy of South Lander.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts