Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what connection I can get to hook this stove up to propane tank. The hose I have now has one of those little pinhole holes/needle in it. I'm wondering if there is a hose for this or if I need to put a fitting on the stove. Thanks.

Attachments

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
Pretty much any Propane/RV dealer ought to be able to help you out. Jax has a store in Lafayette or Louisville. The one in Loveland has all you need to accomplish the task, I assume the one down south could do it as well.

Maybe follow up with how well you like your stove and what it cost you to get it up and running. I was looking at a similar one from Sportsman's Guide.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! You're right no regulator. Just curious what is the little pin hole/needle fitting do on the pictured hose end some kind of safety?, I use the pictured hose to hook up a tank to a Coleman two burner.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Limit the size of the opening and you limit the volume of gas that can pass through. This prevents excess flow if the line breaks.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
PS the pipe going up the side of your stove serves no function. Remove it and start from the existing pipe in the front of the stove and use 3/8 to 1/2 inch female pipe thread. Simple is better and lighter.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PS the pipe going up the side of your stove serves no function. Remove it and start from the existing pipe in the front of the stove and use 3/8 to 1/2 inch female pipe thread. Simple is better and lighter.
Thanks David Miller. Yea I was thinking of just removing the side pipe and attaching in front. The only thing I can see the side pipe being good for is attaching the hose from the back of the stove away from heat and grease. I've seen a few people start their stoves on fire lol with bacon grease melting the hose. Stainless and paying attention would solve this, thanks for the link kengore.

I read the hose description and it looks like this is the right hose for camp stove application? Propane Regulator Kits, 1 PSI Propane Regulator Kit - Grill Regulator M5LPH

By using the hose in the link and by removing the silver side pipe, then do I still need the 3/8 to 1/2 inch fitting or can I just attach the hose to where the black pipe starts in front of the stove?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I went with the adjustable one...
Stainless Steel High Pressure Propane Regulator Kit mM5HPR

The red knob allows you to adjust the regulator pressure. I wasn't sure what pressure my cheap chinese burner needed. The adjustable feature lets me fine tune for a simmer or a blaster. It also lets me use the regulator for other stuff like a propane BBQ.

The fittings are standard gas parts, so can pick up reducers or adapters at any well stocked hardware store.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
I can't imagine it would require anything over 1 psi. Probably 1/2 psi but I too like the adjustable type. 10 psi is way over kill unless you have a blaster or one of those Bayou Classic appliances. 1/2 psi is the pressure that a typical barby Q uses. It is also the pressure that enters a house. Too much pressure and you won't be able to get a nice clean burning blue flame.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No propane feed?

So I went and got a 3/4" bushing with 3/8" flare fitting. I would prefer to get a 3/4" to 3/8" that is one piece rather than 2, but none in stock, I'll do that once the stove works. I used an old propane hose that I found laying around.

Anyway, I hook everything up and turn on the gas and nothing, no sound, no smell no pressure was coming out. I held a lighter up to the burners and moved the burner knobs around and nothing. I unhooked the hose from the stove and still nothing coming out. Any ideas what I need to do?

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
There is an excess flow valve built into the tank. If the propane starts moving too quickly it will slam shut. This is your tax dollars at work. Make sure the valves on the stove are closed and open the valve on the tank slowly and see if that helps.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried the slowly open and it still doesn't work. The tank is 1/4 full and my Coleman stove is turning on. It seems like the hose is not connecting right into the tank. The hose I use for the Coleman screws into the tank with male threads where the hose for this stove (pictured) goes over the tank's threads and uses a female connection onto the tank's male threads. The guy I the stove from said its 50 years old or more.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Before you tear into you new equipment try another tank.

Also make sure the Acme nut is all the way in. You should feel it bottom out when it is all the way on.

You are going to sand blast and powder coat the stove right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts